Clips from last year's movie...just for fun

Looks fun -- you've got to tell us the story behind this production.

Thanks David, hadn't thought of that!...

Hmm, "Love in the Big City 3" is the third installment in a popular series of Russian comedies created and directed by Marius Wiesberg. (LBC3 was co-directed by editor David Dodson). I've worked only on the 3rd installment. This was my 2nd project with Marius, the first, also a Russian comedy, "8 First Dates", released in 2012. We've just completed shooting "8 New Dates", the sequel to "8 First Dates". "8 New Dates" will open New Years day at a theater near you, if you live in Russia, Ukraine, or Kazakhstan.

Quite by accident, I've, sort of, become a Russian cinematographer. LBC3 was both a feature film (released new years day 2014) and an 8 episode TV series. We started filming in Las Vegas in February 2013 for 8 days, and then moved to Moscow for 58 more days of shooting and finished in early June.

Camera operators were Jenya Muratov and myself in Moscow. Dan Kneece joined us as operator for 8 days in Vegas. Thanks Dan!

Gaffer was Nicholai Romanov in Moscow and Jim Wise in Las Vegas.

Technical details: Arri Alexa, captured to HD ArriLogC pro-res 4444. Ziess Ultraprimes and occasional zoom lens.

I was also the colorist on the film, along with my partner, Price Pethel who has taught me a great deal about color grading! For those interested, we graded using Adobe SpeedGrade and the film was released in over 1000 screens on DCP and about 100 film prints. The LogC was converted to REC709 using an Arri LUT from the Arri web site. A smidgeon of a film emulation LUT was also used to give a hint of Kodak film color response.

On our most recent project, I have a new MacBookPro with a calibrated "Retina" screen. Every day I brought home a little USB3 drive with the days work and "graded" dailies on my laptop. I think this is pretty darn cool. I don't grade every shot, but it's a great learning tool for learning exactly how the camera responds and learning how far I can stress the camera.

If you're reading this, I hope you've enjoyed the clips:) It is a great adventure to travel to a foreign country to work on a local production, especially when, like me, you don't speak the local language! (I'm learning, but slowly:) It's quite a bit different experience then traveling with a Hollywood crew to a foreign land. I've have had to learn to adapt to their way of working, while hopefully, enriching them with a little bit different perspective. In all, it's been a fantastic experience for me and I've made many new friends.

and...the story:

There are three married couples with who all have 5 year old children. The wives go off to a spa to take a break from child rearing and leave their husbands to care for the kids for a month.

The dads are overwhelmed by the kids and run into their old nemesis, St. Valentine at a shopping mall in Moscow. After much drinking the men complain to Valentine about the challenge of parenting and mention that it would be easier if the kids were grown up already.

In the morning, they awake, hung-over, and find 18 year old children in their homes. Hopefully, comedy ensues! :o :)

Wow I love the music and the shots, everything looks so beautiful and well lit. I am curious on how working outside of the U.S works for a cinematographer? Any difficult paperwork to shoot in Moscow? I only ask because I hope to perhaps work in hong kong someday.

Thank you for telling us about your experience, I am sure shooting in any foreign country can be quite an experience!