I don't use a lav on sit-down interviews

Bill Kerrigan

When recording an interview, I've been using a shotgun (416) on one track and a super cardioid on the other track. I've found the end result gives a higher quality recording, rather than using a lav on one of the tracks.

I was wondering if any sound professionals do the same?

Hyper-cardioid mics on a stand aimed towards the speakers generally give a more natural sound than lav mics. But if using cardioid mics they will need to be closer if you have any other noise that is likely to be picked up. You might be surprised how much sound they pick up from other sources. Not a problem in a dead quiet and well treated room though.

Edited by Tony Koretz

This would be in your average domestic environment, the mic would usually be positioned as close as possible, just out of frame, pointing down at the speakers mouth. Clicking clocks and such would be removed from the room or stopped. Although, It could prove less an ideal if the subject is framed any wider than a mid shot, but sit down interviews tend towards the MCU a lot of the time. Not to say they won't use lav mics, but you need to be prepared to stop for the clothes rustle at times.