Flatbed Editing 2014

Chris Leutger

Yep, the SV45U. I started with a Tachihara then needed more movements so I moved on up. Much like recently. Over the last few years I've shot some Super 8 but am starting a serious project and felt that it was time to move up so I got an Eclair ACL. I prefer not to spend money on gear unless the work demands it.

Back on-topic, it looks like they haven't gotten rid of the Showchron yet so I told the person that if no one else takes it that I will....

I don't know. My camera was supposed to have been delivered before I left for Detroit but since UPS is a bunch of incompetent knuckleheads it just got to my house. Which is odd because it arrived in Redmond three days earlier which ain't that far from my house. So we're separated by many miles....for now I'm shooting Super 8 for my film good times....

• Upvote 1

• 9 months later...

I have been looking into a Kem 4 plate for an upcoming 35 project. I was considering editing from select takes on a work print as opposed to one light telecine. I think I will pass up on the idea due to cost involved. Having to get sound prints etc adds up to be too much. Instead, I think we will just edit on Avid and go back to neg for photochemical workflow. Let me know what you guys think.

What do you mean by a sound print? Sepmag? Clear 35mm film with stripes of magnetic emulsion on it? You should be able to find a cheap way to do that. Transfer sound onto that I mean. The old transfer machines will be in the junkyard by now, free if you notice them en route to the junkyard....something like that.

It may depend some on the project and what you are doing with the sound. For example, a music vid, all you are using it for is a guide track, so quality may be less important.

I miss the thing of cutting sepmag sound, then supervising the mix from that (16mm).

Edited by Gregg MacPherson

• 7 months later...

Flatbeds aren't accurate enough to record sound. The Steenbeck was never intended to.

For a stripe track, film and sepmag go on a dubber for a sync transfer to stripe. Or rather they did. There aren't many dubbers left. They used to turn up on ebay.

For optical, a separate optical negative is made, then printed onto the film.

Edited by Mark Dunn

Flatbeds aren't accurate enough to record sound. The Steenbeck was never intended to.

For a stripe track, film and sepmag go on a dubber for a sync transfer to stripe. Or rather they did. There aren't many dubbers left. They used to turn up on ebay.

For optical, a separate optical negative is made, then printed onto the film.

Do any labs do the optical track printing? For 16mm film.

I am happy to report that we do optical sound transfers, both 16 and 35mm as well as silver sound tracks on 16mm colour prints. Mono only. We are right now doing soundtracks and prints for a major museum of modern art in a major US city.

We can make optical negatives directly from your WAV or BWF files.

I am happy to report that we do optical sound transfers, both 16 and 35mm as well as silver sound tracks on 16mm colour prints. Mono only. We are right now doing soundtracks and prints for a major museum of modern art in a major US city.

We can make optical negatives directly from your WAV or BWF files.

Can this be done on acetate and polyester film?

• 4 weeks later...

I suspect the problem may be finding a place to mix the sound track, since the industry now uses digital methods and the dubbing theatres no longer use the bays of interlocked sep mag players. That's not to say you couldn't do a basic DIY job, although I wouldn't want to use a steenbeck as a player for mixing a high quality sound track, we used to use a double band 16mm projector to mix onto commag and I know some people used to buy old sepmag player/recorders for their personal use.