Your Best Favourite Shot

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
---When I saw Gordon Willis talk after a screening of 'Godfather II' at the AFI, he said that because he's a romantic, he used the same BNCR and set of lenses that he used on Part I. I'm thinking Baltars and CSC supplied them.

I'm prettty sure Major Kong on the bomb is a travelling matte. & there's a optical zoom out on him to massage his image getting smaller. None of the bomb's support rig shows up.

The shot inside the bomb bay where the bomb is dropped is also a TM over a still photo. I can't recall where I came across that. Maybe on the DVD.

I'm inclined to think the '2001' shot was done on an animation stand. If it were done as front projection, the "sun" would have a bit of the lamp housing around it. Though the sun could have been put in as a seperate pass. But would the moon be as crisp?

A cut out of the monolith on the animation stand with passes for the sun and moon would have been more convienient.

---LV

How did you get David's examples of shots in your quote/reply and David where do you get stills like

those you posted? Is there a site where shots from films can be seen?

Thanks.

• Premium Member

The images are frame grabs from DVD's, converted from bitmap files to jpegs when I took them through PaintShop Pro to crop and resize them (frame grabs from movies tend to have a slight or heavy squeeze on them since the pixels are not square in video, so I have to stretch or squeeze them slightly to look normal, then crop out the letterboxing, etc..)

Then I post them to my website so I can put an image URL link to them in my post using the IMG function (the icon with the little tree in it.)

It's easier with a PC to do frame grabs using DVD player software like Nero or Power DVD, which have a frame grab button to click on. Harder to do with a Mac.

• Premium Member
The images are frame grabs from DVD's, converted from bitmap files to jpegs when I took them through PaintShop Pro to crop and resize them (frame grabs from movies tend to have a slight or heavy squeeze on them since the pixels are not square in video, so I have to stretch or squeeze them slightly to look normal, then crop out the letterboxing, etc..)

Then I post them to my website so I can put an image URL link to them in my post using the IMG function (the icon with the little tree in it.)

It's easier with a PC to do frame grabs using DVD player software like Nero or Power DVD, which have a frame grab button to click on. Harder to do with a Mac.

Cool. I'm a member of Apple Pro Care which gets me a one hour one on one training session on any

application once a week with an Apple guru at any Apple store so I can bring my Mac and check it out.

Thanks.

• Premium Member

The shot on the bridge in Amélie the camera is on a crane and does a 180 rotation over her head while pulling away. Gorgeous shot. One of the reasons I became a DP.

From the end of the shot: amelie-poulain07.jpg The whole film is fantastic and riddled with great shots, both compositionally and with camera movement.

• Premium Member
Cool. I'm a member of Apple Pro Care which gets me a one hour one on one training session on any

application once a week with an Apple guru at any Apple store so I can bring my Mac and check it out.

Thanks.

The "grabber" function on the mac has been defeated when the DVD player app is running (Apple's way of avoiding copyright violations). There is third-party software that allows various screen grabs, such as Snapz ProX. Unfortunately it's not fully compatible with my intel iMac, so I let my trial version of the software expire. Otherwise I would have chimed in here long ago...

Here's some secret insider info ;)

Apple-Shift-3 = Entire screen capture

Apple-Shift-4 = Cross-hair will apear and then drag select portion to capture

After you grab an image will be placed on your desktop. Or it might be placed in your pictures or documents folder. Depends on your setup.

Better then a peecee since you get the cross-hair grab option.

Help for capturing from Mac DVD player:

Download and install the Capture Widget from the Apple site:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/b...ss/capture.html

Once installed, startup your DVD Player and pause at the frame you would like to grab. Then activate Dashboard and the Capture widget. Enable the Hide Dashboard option if not enabled. Then do your capture.

Works fine.

How did you get David's examples of shots in your quote/reply and David where do you get stills like

those you posted? Is there a site where shots from films can be seen?

---& David's URL link is in the quote in the reply box. Careful not to delete them.

I'm not sure how to break up quotes into seperate boxes.

---LV

• Premium Member
Here's some secret insider info ;)

Apple-Shift-3 = Entire screen capture

Apple-Shift-4 = Cross-hair will apear and then drag select portion to capture

After you grab an image will be placed on your desktop. Or it might be placed in your pictures or documents folder. Depends on your setup.

Better then a peecee since you get the cross-hair grab option.

Not with my newer intel Mac. :( They've gotten serious about the copyright stuff...

• Premium Member
Help for capturing from Mac DVD player:

Download and install the Capture Widget from the Apple site:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/b...ss/capture.html

Once installed, startup your DVD Player and pause at the frame you would like to grab. Then activate Dashboard and the Capture widget. Enable the Hide Dashboard option if not enabled. Then do your capture.

Works fine.

Okay, I've got it now. Thanks!!

screenshot2.jpg

• Premium Member

Cool shot from "Seven"...

This is one reason why I reduce the image to about 90% of the original size, horizontally at least though, to fit better on the page. Actually, to deal with frames from 16x9 transfers, I have to reduce the width to 90% of the original and the height to 80% of the original to make it more widescreen, not squeezed-looking (that's just an eyeball unsqueeze, not based on math) as well as shrink it a little for the web page.

Maybe the way you've grabbed it as a screen capture already corrected the pixel ratio problem.

• Premium Member
Cool shot from "Seven"...

This is one reason why I reduce the image to about 90% of the original size, horizontally at least though, to fit better on the page. Actually, to deal with frames from 16x9 transfers, I have to reduce the width to 90% of the original and the height to 80% of the original to make it more widescreen, not squeezed-looking (that's just an eyeball unsqueeze, not based on math) as well as shrink it a little for the web page.

Maybe the way you've grabbed it as a screen capture already corrected the pixel ratio problem.

Well I'm using a 20" 16x9 iMac, so I tend to forget what fits other screens. Here's how it looks to me (reduced in size):

jpegs.jpg

I should probably pay more attention to the pixel size of the images I post!

The DVD Player included with the mac presents a screen of the proper size and aspect ratio (automatically switching between 16:9 or 4:3 depending on what's on the disk). Both the "grabber" app and the "capture widget" seem to record the screen faithfully.

Guest Alexandre Lucena

Anyone for a bestshot.com site using steadishots.org as a model with comments from the sender.

It could be the ultimate source for designing a shot any style, as long as the comments

clarifies on the motivations of camera moves, lighting and actors performance, sound, cutting

and other aspects of film making.

Alexandre

Aguirre Wrath of God, the opening and closing shots are breath-forcefully-removed-from-body amazing.

The long take that goes through the bars and into the courtyard at the end of Antonioni's The Passenegr had my brain shitting itself asking 'how did he have the tenacity to do that?'

Most of Persona and Blade Runner

Cliche but the 'napalm shot' in Apocalypse now still sends shivers a-tingling down my spinal column.

I love the photography of the French New wave particularly anything by Raoul Coutard and Henri Decae.

One of Tarkovsky's films, can't remember which (maybe some one can help me), when a man crosses a field in wide as the wind blows the grass, causing it to move in sideways waves. It's impossible to describe how enigmatic it is.

Jean-Luc Godard's "A Bout De Souffle" when Jean-Paul Belmondo is running in the street of Paris cop chasing him. I like just about everything in Orson Welles's Touch Of Evil. In Taxi Driver when Travis Bickle is sitting in the sofa and to cops are pointing their guns at him and there's the slow magical shot from above that's really amazing. Bernard Herman's music works really good too. There are tons of brilliant stuff in Scorsese's movies.

• Premium Member
One of Tarkovsky's films, can't remember which (maybe some one can help me), when a man crosses a field in wide as the wind blows the grass, causing it to move in sideways waves. It's impossible to describe how enigmatic it is.

That's from 'Mirror'.

They did that by having a helicopter hover above the field, just out of frame.

One shot that sticks to my mind from seeing a perfect print in the cinema, is that of Holly Hunter as she takes a final look at her piano on the beach as the tean leaves for home.

The camera slowly circles her from upfront on some 250mm or so in a Cu of her face. The background looks like a rembrandt turned Matisse and it seems as only it is moving and not her face. This together with the beautiful Michael Nyman score made me crack in the cinema (eyes not dry that is), Pure beauty in context.

Shot from The insider as Russel Crow is looking at the old nails in the walls where pictuires used to hang.

Most of The thin red line.......

Bergmans Cries and wispers doesn´t have a bad frame in it.......

By the way; doe anybody know who shot this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBFlNBsvyxI...h=leann%20rimes

Edited by Fredrik Backar FSF

Guest Patrick T King

The shot at the end of The Shining is quite special! (The long, slow track forward into the picture on the wall) It's so simple, but totally mesmerising. Similar to Wavelength by Michael Snow.

Speaking of Snow, La Region Centrale is hypnotic. Google it! Some of the most poetic camera movements I've ever seen.

Guest Patrick T King

Adding to my previous post - it may sound crass, but the opening scene from Back to the Future (Dean Cundey?Carpenters best friend!) is quite something...Obviously he worked closely with Zemeckis on the context, but the meandering and searching camera, creates the atmosphere for the film...the clocks and the nuclear material...

• Premium Member
Is that a scan of a photo in a book? The DVD frame is more like this:

amelie1.jpg

That is just a magic shot within a magic enough movie. I was a bit disappointed to find that they had to add the stone skips in post because apparently Audrey Tatou can't skip stones :D Otherwise, it would have been one of those moments of a hundred things coming together just right for the shot. Instead, they got 99 :P

There really are too many to list in this category. But if I had to pick a current favorite it would be the "Old Man River" song sequence from the 1936 "Show Boat." A long circular dolly move, incredible lighting, incredible composition, incredible acting/singing. Unbelievable, for that time or any, still works, puts a lot of current stuff to shame.