Sony PXW-PS7

Brian Drysdale

• Premium Member

Like Robert says, it's a budget thing. If Arri made a camera for under $10k, they'd have to cut some corners too. The Alexa's direct competitors are the F65/55, not the FS7. Not sure why you would be using an FS7 if you have the budget to rent an Alexa.

• Upvote 1

Like Robert says, it's a budget thing. If Arri made a camera for under $10k, they'd have to cut some corners too. The Alexa's direct competitors are the F65/55, not the FS7. Not sure why you would be using an FS7 if you have the budget to rent an Alexa.

There would be no additional expense in designing the same camera with a viewfinder that didn't block the filter stage on the matte box and a sensible button layout. But we can't all be satisfied by every manufacturer.

It's a decent camera, for the price, a great camera, just not what we need. That's why our 10 day new camera is for sale if anyone wants one with a full warranty and a couple nice extras.

Edited by JFlack

• 2 weeks later...

JFlack,

I have to ask, what lenses you are using? My Fs7 setup uses some fairly stubby primes (Zeiss CP.2) has no problem with the viewfinder. Even my Nikon lenses are OK because the adapter pushes them forward.

Comparing the Alexa and the Fs7, that's like comparing vinyl in a Wrangler, to Leather in a Rolls Royce, they both get the job done, but one is much more comfortable. Both cameras (most video cameras ) lose audio in Over/under crank. You can easily hot key a shutter angle. One button, spin wheel, new shutter angle. It has a nearly identical menu to the F5/F55, except no cool side panel. Seems like you need to spend more time with the camera, or the manual. Either way, nothing you do the Fs7 will make it an Alexa although, with some tweaking (and the new firmware), you can get pretty close to the F55.

As with all things, personal preference wins, Not many people love the Sony button layout, we learn to adapt ourselves, and our tools. Especially if our clients cannot spring for the Alexa.

Joe

• Premium Member

I was thinking, you'd have to have some fairly short lenses or a very sprawly set of rod-mounted accessories for the viewfinder to hit them. The Sony button layout is... well. It's not as if there's one unified Sony button layout, which is sort of part of the problem, but I'll say again what I said in a written review - it's very strange that a camera which expects people to know about log encoding and LUTs also expects those same people to need push auto iris. Very strange. I guess that's the difference between the people who will use an unadorned FS7 with a simple DSLR lens, and the people who will buy all the accessories and treat it as a mini-Amira.

And in terms of capability it isn't totally unreasonable to compare it to something like Amira. Both are overcrankable, high dynamic range, bigger-than-HD sensor cameras with facilities for advanced cinematography techniques, log encoding, LUTs etc. The only big differences imaging-wise are that the FS7 is upgradable to do raw, and does a lot more codecs, consumes a whole lot less power and is lighter. You can laugh, and sure, by the time you've done all that the FS7 is not £7500 anymore, it's not as heavily built and the control panel layout is silly, but honestly, it's not a completely ridiculous comparison.

That frame rate thing is just asinine, though.

P

Thomas,

Cooke S4's and Summicrons on a PL adapter which puts a two stage MB right into the EVF. It's worse because the MB in question is a top loader.

Long story short, I found the camera produced a decent image, but was not a fan of the control layout. I sold our unit easily enough and are happy the Alexa and Amira are now so readily available we can happily go that route. The projects we work on are not so constrained that a few hundred in rental is the difference between doing a project or not.

• 2 months later...

I've just bought one and am enjoying it so far. I agree with many comments that point out comparing it to an Alexa is simply not a fair fight - of course the Alexa will be nicer. Compare it to a C300 or similar and it's incredible.

One thing I notice people are complaining about however is having to go into the menus to change the shutter angle. There's a 'shutter' button on the side of the camera - one press and you can scroll up or down to select your angle. Just as easy as an F55 or Alexa.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...