Lighting Gradient For A Cyc

I want to create the circular gradient you see sometimes in cyc videos. Wondering what is the best way to create that look? I figured I could use a Leko light or possibly a Par can but how can I get that gradual circular fall off? I've attached a reference pic.

Also a visual link (horrible song turn volume off.)

Thanks

post-63647-0-26657900-1410740611_thumb.jpg

HA, whats wrong with a little riff raff

do you want the talent lit with the light as in your example or you just want the effect on the backround either way the principles are the same

assuming you want to create exactly what is above.

take your light a fresenl or an open face and take the barn doors off then get a 4x4 frame or a 2x3 frame of a diffusion like Opal or 251 maybe even 250. make sure the whole round beam of light is going through the frame and nothing is cut off and you should see exactly what you see above. to cover that space I would say you probably want something like a 2k or larger.

if you wan't to add to that look I'd really recomend adding an edge to the talent.... a couple smaller lights on either side pointed back toward the talent from the cyc probably also through some light diffusion will help seperate them from the backround.

Edited by Albion Hockney