NFL Films Amira Lens Pairing

Greg Kubik

The majority of the work I do is documentary and sports features and it seems that an Amira is inevitable in the near future.

With NFL Films making the switch to the Arri Amira as their primary camera I am curious as to what lenses they are using with the body.

2/3" ENG lenses? Cinema Zooms?

Any information would be great.

I have shot a couple football games and talked abit with the NFL films guys.... they use a bunch of cameras all with differnt glass when I was doing it they hand't fully gone over to alexa/amirra yet but even so they lenses are super varied some guys with long eng seems b/4 mount some with super wide stuff.

the fuji lens is only what 90mm or something? for some stuff these guys are shooting super long lens

• Premium Member

I have shot a couple football games and talked abit with the NFL films guys.... they use a bunch of cameras all with differnt glass when I was doing it they hand't fully gone over to alexa/amirra yet but even so they lenses are super varied some guys with long eng seems b/4 mount some with super wide stuff.

the fuji lens is only what 90mm or something? for some stuff these guys are shooting super long lens

There's also an 85-300mm Cabrio. But even that's not very long for Football.

Edited by Mark Kenfield

• Premium Member

...and they weigh an absolute ton. The Cabrio 19-90 weighs almost as much as the Amira and was probably the reason so many people said "oof" the first time they picked one up, because Arri seemed extremely keen to pair the two. I'm not so sure it's a good idea.

P

I've decided on the Canon 17-120PL for Amira for documentary/sports for it's range. Granted it's not a light set-up but I've been using my Alexa with carbrio 19-90 with success. The B/4 adapter works great with 2/3" lenses. You increase the focal length around x2.5 and that'll give you equiv. 35mm focal length. 2 stop light loss but not a biggie with native ISO at 800. Negatives with B/4 adapter is it breathes a lot and makes camera very long. The Amira's EF mount is scheduled to come out by end of year so lighter set-ups will be attainable. Options are still on the heavy side at present, but the image is the reward.

Thanks for all the input. Certainly seems to be a challenge to find the right lenses now a days with all the large sensor cameras. I agree that it's hard to beat the Cabrios and Canon zooms but the range in focal length is their downfall in my opinion. It's a shame they don't have a doubler built in like 2/3" lenses.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Canon's latest offering for Amira/35mm sensor cameras is an incredible 50-1000 with a built-in 1.5x extender, which gets you all the way to 1500mm.

http://www.fdtimes.com/2014/10/16/canon-50-1000-t5-8-9-cine-zoom/

Servo-driven and relatively lightweight for the range, it should be very popular for sports and nature doc work.