CINEMATOGRAPHY AND EDITING

I am studying cinematography at university. I am shooting a film in two weeks. I have spent the last few weeks organising visual material for the film. I am filming two people in a chreographed dance sequence. The piece will appear quite abstract as it starts off quite serene and then becomes very violent and agressive. I am shooting this in a studio space with soft lighting showing small amounts of their bodies.

The problem is how to plan the shoot in regards to the editing. The director is working with a choreographer who will plan all the movements of the dancers. The movements in post production will be slowed down, sped up, morphed etc. Is it best to shoot each set up with one shot and then cut it for the editor? Then next shot-cut it etc etc. So you shoot then stop, shoot then stop.

Dont want one continious tape of movement without any cuts in it.

Any suggestions

Thank you

Tom if I understand your situation correctly, you are using video and not film. If you have post production facilities, you do not need to attempt to edit "in camera" so shooting a couple of masters and then a few select pick ups should not effect what you do in editing. You have lots of options.

Tom,

May I suggest that if you can give a bit of vertical movement to the inherent horizontal movement of dancers across the stage, the natural flow of the dance will dictate to you where to use it for cresendo and scope, it will add drama to your piece. I've done it with simple mechanical devices that are used to hoist air conditioners, you can rent or rig a jib pretty cheap these days, a theater bar and a wide angle for an aerial shot etc... you get the idea.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Alrite mucker!

Hows about using 2 or three of those wonderful cameras <_< we have in uni and get different shots from each, CU's, MCU's, WS's etc? Just a thought. I'll look 4ward 2 seeing it!

My thoughts exactly. Shooting with multiple cameras (if you have access to them) will make it easier on you and the actors.

multi camera seems the best way to go if you can. If not, you'll need to have a master of the most of the act or all of it to be safe (so the editor can cut to give reference or fix problems). Then you can do pickups of different scales CU's MCU's whatever... My advice is go to the rehersal and tape the act and then you can decide on your coverage more efficiently and cover the scene in a shorter amount of time and set ups and you won't tire the dancers. Good luck!