4008ZM2 not running.

Mickey Dale

Hello. I have been lurking for a few days on this great forum, reading about super 8. I haven't shot any for decades, but have been feeling quite nostalgic about the beautiful format. My previous experience has been point and shoot via entry level cameras. However, I took a chance on a 4008ZM2 on eBay. Lo and behold, there are problems!

As expected, the batteries (all four of them) are useless, but I have ordered a rechargeable modern replacement from a nice man in Canada, via eBay. Today, I did manage to hook up 7.2v to the camera to check that it runs. Sadly, the camera motor isn't doing anything. The zoom motor works fine. I don't bother checking the light meter contacts, as I was planning on using an external light meter.

So, I removed the handle from the camera to find that the black wire is not connected to anything, and the red and yellow wires are twisted together. Nothing is soldered to the switch. To be honest, it's as though someone got here before me to try to make this baby work, and gave up, possibly with a conclusion of dead motor. I tried connecting all three wires together. This made the lens motor stop working too!

It's too good a camera to be just an ornament and I'd like to get it working if possible. I have another 4008ZM2 on its way (fully working and good history). But having two working cameras would be amazing, especially for capturing live music performances that last for more than 3.5 minutes. Having an identical camera and film opens up some possibilities.

I see that the name Bjorn crops up regularly with regard to fixing cameras. Perhaps I should try and get the camera over to him. I'm an optimist, so I am still thinking it could be a bad contact somewhere!

Any thoughts or advice very gratefully received.

Kind regards,

Mickey

Hi Mickey,

I have two ZM4008 II and I think are the best cameras s8 if you want a little complicate life ... The picture can offer, is the best in s8 but require some maintenance. If you live in Europe, you can send Microdelta in Spain, this has fixed my two Beaulieu and work great, plus it's serious and good price.

Hello, Jose!

Thanks for the reply. I have had a look inside the camera and I found a loose wire, which I carefully soldered back on. The camera still doesn't run. But since then, I have read that the switch built into the handle should have four wires attached to it, which come from the bottom of the camera. Mine only has three, so that would probably explain why I cannot get the motor to run!

I do live in the UK, and would be happy to ship the camera to Spain for a repair and service.

Cheers,

Mickey

• Premium Member

I believe Björn can be reached at info@beaulieu-service.com. If he doesn't respond then send me a PM and I can give you more contact info. Not sure if he wants it all out there.

I sent two 4008's to him about 3 or 4 years ago and he made them sing like they were brand new. I can't recommend him enough. He also bought up plenty of original parts when Beaulieu shut down. It's a little difficult sending them from the U.S. but it's probably easier from Europe.

Hello. I have been lurking for a few days on this great forum, reading about super 8. I haven't shot any for decades, but have been feeling quite nostalgic about the beautiful format. My previous experience has been point and shoot via entry level cameras. However, I took a chance on a 4008ZM2 on eBay. Lo and behold, there are problems!

As expected, the batteries (all four of them) are useless, but I have ordered a rechargeable modern replacement from a nice man in Canada, via eBay. Today, I did manage to hook up 7.2v to the camera to check that it runs. Sadly, the camera motor isn't doing anything. The zoom motor works fine. I don't bother checking the light meter contacts, as I was planning on using an external light meter.

So, I removed the handle from the camera to find that the black wire is not connected to anything, and the red and yellow wires are twisted together. Nothing is soldered to the switch. To be honest, it's as though someone got here before me to try to make this baby work, and gave up, possibly with a conclusion of dead motor. I tried connecting all three wires together. This made the lens motor stop working too!

It's too good a camera to be just an ornament and I'd like to get it working if possible. I have another 4008ZM2 on its way (fully working and good history). But having two working cameras would be amazing, especially for capturing live music performances that last for more than 3.5 minutes. Having an identical camera and film opens up some possibilities.

I see that the name Bjorn crops up regularly with regard to fixing cameras. Perhaps I should try and get the camera over to him. I'm an optimist, so I am still thinking it could be a bad contact somewhere!

Any thoughts or advice very gratefully received.

Kind regards,

Mickey

If the camera was not working when you made a buy from Ebay why did you not go for a refund ?

Beaulieu 4008 zm are nice camera but can be a real pain to get working ie battery and also there age now ! can leave a big hole in your pocket ? Have to say had a really not so good dealing with Microdelta , had checked with then before senting camera off / if there had the parts for my camera told me yes almost 90% chance to be fix , after report feed back ,had to wait / 6 month later told me could not get a new motor for the camera after waiting for then to order one , so for me this was a real wind up ? and why did it take so long to tell me there could not get the part < after telling yes there can get the parts to fix my camera .

The camera will be arriving with Bjorn today! Thanks for all your help, guys.

Regarding eBay, the auction said "no returns". I guess I could have argued the point and got my money back, but then I figured even a working eBay camera should probably be posted to Bjorn for a full service, so I decided to keep it.

Regards,

Mickey

As someone who buys and sells a lot of stuff on ebay (and I sell with a no-returns policy because a lot of people like to buy stuff and then return it if they have second thoughts, not because the item is damaged), I can say that a quick note to the seller indicating that the unit is DOA and that you'd like it addressed or you're going to be forced to leave them a bad rating, will typically get results. Even with the no-return policy.

That said, it's probably a good move to have the camera overhauled anyway, and the 4008 is a really nice one when it's working, so it makes perfect sense in this case to let it slide. Still, I'd let the seller know they dodged a bullet.

Those negative ratings really ding regular sellers on fees and search rankings.

As someone who buys and sells a lot of stuff on ebay (and I sell with a no-returns policy because a lot of people like to buy stuff and then return it if they have second thoughts, not because the item is damaged),

In the EU a business selling at a distance must accept returns within 14 days for any reason, or none, by law.

OP, if it was sold as not working, fair enough. Otherwise you could have opened a not as described dispute with ebay.

Beaulieu 4008 come up often on ebay ! as not working because of the battery , Thing is these camera have not be in use's for sometime which means! there will put a big hole in your pocket to put right , When that's done you have a really good super 8 camera , Which comes at a price ? sometime it better to go through a dealer who has had the camera checked and can give a good report on what is what ? the joys of buying on Ebay , but sometime you can also get lucky with a seller who has upkeep his or her camera, as a rule this is the buy I aim for/ will cost more but then you know it's working well , if not can get a refund ,

Also these camera over 40 / 35 years old now , keep shooting Film .

Deep breath! Okay! I told the original seller of the problems. He said to return the camera for refund. And that is what I should have done, but being excited to have located Bjorn, and being an eternal optimist, I sent the camera to Bjorn in Sweden. Today he emailed to ask what I had paid for the camera. I replied to tell him, and jokingly asked "why? Is this a piece of junk?"

Bjorn replied to explain that this is the worst piece of poop that he's ever seen from eBay, and that there is so much wrong with the camera. The lens is good!

Dilemma…

a) Chalk it up to experience. Some you win, some you lose. Let Bjorn keep it as a paper weight (shipping back to the UK is around £50).

b) Ask Bjorn to return it so I can return to the seller for a refund (this will leave me more out of pocket).

c) Instruct Bjorn to work his magic, but I have since bought a working 4008 that is more worthy of Bjorn's skills.

The seller said that the camera was his fathers, who had now passed away. It was not listed as broken or untested, but regardless, now it's in Sweden, I have created my own dilemma and I except that I have made matters worse.

Paperweight for Bjorn is looking favourite! I might ask him to send me the lens…

Regards,

Mickey (no longer trigger happy on eBay!).

Yes Mickey you jump in at the deep end here! Thing is the ebay seller no longer has to up keep his end of the deal as the camera has been tamper with by you then also the repair Man then on top now being in sweden ,

Get qoute from Bjorn to put right meaning working ! and if you have the bucks to do it at least you have a Beaulieu 4008 thats working , Put it down to a learning lesson ! E bay .

Beaulieu 4008 zm are nice super 8 cameras when there have been put right need alot of TLC in order to do that ? She"s a french lady /so has her moods ,

• Premium Member

I have to laugh, Bjorn will speak the truth on these cameras. He couldn't believe that one of my cameras had gone to a respected tech here in the states (I will not name names). He was very disappointed at the work that had been done here.

If it costs less than $400 to fix it, I might still do it. You'll have a better than new camera. At the very least ship back the lens.

Maybe ask Bjorn if he has another camera body he can sell you...

Deep breath! Okay! I told the original seller of the problems. He said to return the camera for refund. And that is what I should have done, but being excited to have located Bjorn, and being an eternal optimist, I sent the camera to Bjorn in Sweden. Today he emailed to ask what I had paid for the camera. I replied to tell him, and jokingly asked "why? Is this a piece of junk?"

Bjorn replied to explain that this is the worst piece of poop that he's ever seen from eBay, and that there is so much wrong with the camera. The lens is good!

Dilemma…

a) Chalk it up to experience. Some you win, some you lose. Let Bjorn keep it as a paper weight (shipping back to the UK is around £50).

B) Ask Bjorn to return it so I can return to the seller for a refund (this will leave me more out of pocket).

c) Instruct Bjorn to work his magic, but I have since bought a working 4008 that is more worthy of Bjorn's skills.

The seller said that the camera was his fathers, who had now passed away. It was not listed as broken or untested, but regardless, now it's in Sweden, I have created my own dilemma and I except that I have made matters worse.

Paperweight for Bjorn is looking favourite! I might ask him to send me the lens…

Regards,

Mickey (no longer trigger happy on eBay!).

Estate, attic or cellarfinds have always been without use and maintenance for some 30 years now.

These statements that it is the worst find from eBay should be taken with a grain of salt. It is an easy argument.

Mostly there is nothing broken but overhaul work on these aged cameras easily takes Euro 300-400 when sent to professional workshops like Bjorn, Wittner et al. And you would still need a battery :(

Leaving it with the repairmain makes it a free partsspender or they overhaul it and will sell it after that.

You could have sent it back to the seller (if he takes it back) from the repairaddress. Saves one postaltrip. Simple 2kg shipping around Europe takes about Euro 8-10. Don't bother with the luxe express pick-up-services from UPS/Fedex etc which are, on your expense, favoured by these workshops.

Edited by Andries Molenaar