Beginners questions

Mickey Dale

Dear forum,

I now have a working Beaulieu 4000ZM and also a ZM2. I'm going on a trip and have decided to take the ZM while the ZM2 is about to go for a service with Bjorn.

1. The mirror looks like it could use a clean. Should I be nervous, or if I am very gentle and careful, can I proceed? Other than that, the camera is clean, runs smooth and looks almost mint.

2. I intend to run two test films while I am away on tour with my band. A roll of Vision 3 200T, and a roll of 500T. The cameras ASA setting only goes to 400. What's the best way to deal with this?

3. If the answer to question 2 is buy an external light meter, which one is best taking into account the shutter angle of the 4008 camera? This one covers cine shutter speeds but only at a 180 degree angle.

Thank you for reading.

Regards,

Mickey

just use some compressed air on the mirror. 400ASA is only 1/3rd stop over for 500T which will just increase your density slightly. Use the internal meter as a spot to meter the stage and find a good F-stop. You can compensate for the 1/3rd or just leave it. I would start by metering a subject under the stage lights and use that as the base exposure.

Thanks, Anthony.

I have a lot to learn and am eager to pick up as much as possible. The ZM camera has the Angenieux 8-64 lens, which is much lighter than the Schneider lens, so for now I'll take this set up. My Schneider has a bit of wobble/play in it and so it's off for a service asap, along with the ZM2, which has an intermittent light meter. Other than that, both cameras appear to be spotless, which is good after my first 4008 disaster (Bjorn Andersson said he's never seen anything so dreadful!).

Cheers,

Mickey

Almost all of this montage is S8 or reg16mm 500T on small stages, some of it with a 4008. I think our f-stops were still around 2.8 for most of it. In that environment, under exposure is usually more of a worry than over exposure, especially since the 500T handles it better than anything else.

Dear forum,

I now have a working Beaulieu 4000ZM and also a ZM2. I'm going on a trip and have decided to take the ZM while the ZM2 is about to go for a service with Bjorn.

1. The mirror looks like it could use a clean. Should I be nervous, or if I am very gentle and careful, can I proceed? Other than that, the camera is clean, runs smooth and looks almost mint.

2. I intend to run two test films while I am away on tour with my band. A roll of Vision 3 200T, and a roll of 500T. The cameras ASA setting only goes to 400. What's the best way to deal with this?

3. If the answer to question 2 is buy an external light meter, which one is best taking into account the shutter angle of the 4008 camera? This one covers cine shutter speeds but only at a 180 degree angle.

Thank you for reading.

Regards,

Mickey

Hello mickey ,

Good luck with your filmmaking/ we all had to start at that point ! It will take sometime to get use to working with your camera !

The beaulieu 4008 / it "s

learning about the in's and the out of what the camera can do , also you need to check that all is running well which means making test films , also there will be a lot of mistakes on the way that's all down to learning as you go on ,

shoot some test films , watch out for the battery as when it get's cold outside can lose juice fast ,

The beaulieu 4008 she a great super 8 camera when all is working well , shoot film make your mistakes and learn . that's Filmmaking ,

• Premium Member

You might want to consider picking up a small c-mount lens like 8mm or so that you can use on your 4008 to keep the size and weight down. It almost makes it another camera; very small and light. Good for family gatherings.

There should be plenty of c-mount cine lenses around from 16mm cameras like a Kodak K100 and many others that will work or you can find something like this new for less than $100...

979785.jpg