Kodak to up prices 10%

Kodak will increase prices across the board by 10% as of January 2015.

Stock up now everyone!

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Products/Product_Information/index.htm

As much as this is frustrating, it's still better that they are doing this rather than cutting more stocks. Rather than just dumping Ektachrome I really wish they had just over priced it to see if the market would bear it. Oh well. At least I think they're doing it "right" this time.

As demand continues to fall, hopefully someone like Ferrania will be able to step up with a "scaled down" production method to keep us going for a few more decades. The trick will be to end up with a product at least as good as the current Vision3 line which is a truly amazing film.

I agree it's better than cutting stocks, but it does make it that much harder to justify shooting film over digital. Especially to a producer. I was just reading today that there's going to be a Walking Dead spinoff show. I wonder if they'll be shooting super16....

• Premium Member

I agree it's better than cutting stocks, but it does make it that much harder to justify shooting film over digital. Especially to a producer. I was just reading today that there's going to be a Walking Dead spinoff show. I wonder if they'll be shooting super16....

The producer should enroll in a film program simply to get the 30% student discount ;)

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

This is it, kodak will stop manufacturing film soon. Fuji raised their prices shortly before announcing the production of their film would end.

Well, I certainly hope not. This could also be Kodak's way of dealing with their original plan to eliminate a bunch of 400' and 100' loads of various stocks as was rumored to happen sometime in December:

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=64787&hl=

Kodak now has a 2 year agreement with studios to sell them a certain volume of film. It will continue to exist for at least 2 more years. The trick will be how well small companies like Film Ferrania are able to pick up the slack and how much Kodak will be willing to work with those companies to license patents on things like tgrain technology, etc so that the small companies can roll out equally high quality films.

I stocked up before the last S-8 increase last May and hopefully it will last me until the dust settles. I really hope Kodak just sends it's formulas and some employees over to Ferrania, who can supply the current demand for Pro and armature MP. Kodak wants to be an industrial tech company, Just get it over with already and put it in the hand of someone that wants it!

• Premium Member

I really hope Kodak just sends it's formulas and some employees over to Ferrania, who can supply the current demand for Pro and armature MP.

While I agree that would would be wise, Kodak has far too long a history of arrogance to do that.