gelling space lights

I know 6K space lights come with gel frames but I've never had to use them in the past. Now I expect to have to gel them on a job and am wondering what the best way to do it is. The gel frames are intended to be used at the bottom of the fixture, correct? If at the top, the gel would just melt. How have people gelled them in the past? Wrap the entire source in gel?

Space lights require tons of gel. You can wrap the inside of the tubular skirt with color and gel frame that can hang on the bottom. Not too close to the bulbs or it'll melt after being on all day. If the light is already built and hanging you can easily wrap the whole thing from the outside. baby spring clips work better than clothes pins.

Wow, what a nightmare. I've never seen anyone gel a space-light. Are you going to gel them once during a pre-light, or are you going to gel them during the middle of the shooting day? I can't imagine wrapping those things in gel if they're already in the grid.

Fortunately it's just for a lighting gag on a night exterior, just a couple lights hanging from a condor. I think I may just gel the lights close to the fixure, as they will not be on for more than 30 seconds at a time. I can't afford two rolls of gel for this quick effect.

Fortunately it's just for a lighting gag on a night exterior, just a couple lights hanging from a condor. I think I may just gel the lights close to the fixure, as they will not be on for more than 30 seconds at a time. I can't afford two rolls of gel for this quick effect.

dending on how you use them you may be able to use less gel. Spacelights have a black skirt accessory that hangs over the tubular silk leaving the bottom free to light. But obviously this would only work if the light were right above your set. Then you could just gel the frames and let them hang normally without gelling the whole damn thing.

Tim