Accurate depictions of the craft in movies

Ed Davor

Greetings,

Having seen Blow out (1981) recently, which seems to show the craft of sound editing for movies (ADR, foley and all the other stuff...) in a decently realistic depiction, as far as I can tell (I'm not a sound professional...so please correct me), I started wondering, if there are any other movies which show the traditional filmmaking process in more detail.

Modern Romance comes to mind, as it shows the process of editing on a flatbed among other things.

All That Jazz has some scenes depicting the editing process.

I'm sure there are other examples, but I can't remember any right now.

Anything comes to mind? I'm thinking, something that shows the gory details of editing, sound editing, watching dailies, dubbing, lab work etc.

• Premium Member

Someone on here recently pointed me in the direction of 'Living in Oblivion' which is delightful. Some of the portrayals in it are a little cartoonish (the DoP in particular!), but Steve Buscemi puts in a note-perfect take on the craft of Directing. Highly recommended.

Not *about* filmmaking, per se, but:

Woody Allen's Crimes & Misdemeanors has him acting as a struggling documentary filmmaker - shooting in 16mm, and some scenes of him using a flatbed. It's a minor sub-plot but memorable nonetheless.

There's also the bit in Gimme Shelter, where Jagger is watching the footage of the murder of a fan in the crowd, on a steenbeck, while the film was being edited.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Speaking of sound and picture editing. Are there any suggestions for detailed technical literature describing all the different procedures like syncing, film editing, leaders etc.

Right now I'm scouring through the book called "Practical Art of Motion Picture Sound" by Yewdall, but is a great book. Anything similar for recommendation? Perhaps with more focus on editing (traditional editing, not nonlinear).

Thanks

Edited by Ed Davor

• Premium Member

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Speaking of sound and picture editing. Are there any suggestions for detailed technical literature describing all the different procedures like syncing, film editing, leaders etc.

Right now I'm scouring through the book called "Practical Art of Motion Picture Sound" by Yewdall, but is a great book. Anything similar for recommendation? Perhaps with more focus on editing (traditional editing, not nonlinear).

Thanks

http://www.amazon.com/Film-Editing-History-Practice-Invisible/dp/0719057779/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1420396078&sr=8-21&keywords=film+editing

Excellent book that also gives you a good insight as to how all of these editing technologies evolved. Lots from the Silent Era.

There is also this documentary: http://www.amazon.com/Cutting-Edge-Magic-Movie-Editing/dp/B0009PVZEG/ref=sr_1_7?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1420396243&sr=1-7&keywords=the+cutting+edge

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm starting to develop an interest into these techniques. Too bad It's all gone now. I might get a Moviola one day, just for the heck of it, to watch prints on. It looks fun, like driving an old noisy car.

• Premium Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm starting to develop an interest into these techniques. Too bad It's all gone now. I might get a Moviola one day, just for the heck of it, to watch prints on. It looks fun, like driving an old noisy car.

Yup. I have a Steenbeck in my basement. It's really disappointing that all of the traditional modes of film-making have disappeared so quickly.

"Berberian Sound Studio" has a different take on film sound. I can't remember if "Day For Night" has post production sound in it, although it has lots of shooting stuff.

I had a conversation with a film editor friend about the disappearance of knowledge about traditional film editing the other day and there aren't that many photographs of film cutting rooms.