Monitors

juan

I got hands on with the new SmallHD 503 today at BVE. Should be relevant here. There's a 703 version and a 702 oled coming out at the same sort of time but they weren't at the show today.

Felt solid, all metal frame with gorilla glass over the screen

Buttons felt solid, thumb knob is greatly improved over the 502 and 702. Doesn't feel like it's about to break every time you touch it.

2200 nits claimed, certainly was pretty bright. It has a studio brightness mode which locks it at 100nits.

For me, this is a great monitor for on camera needs and as a quick reference for the DOP as it has exposure tools and LUTS (just like the 502). Not sure I would use it as a focus monitor alone on a stand with sun shade though, leave that to the 703 and slightly larger monitors.

It's bigger and heavier than the 502 but then it's full metal and has a big heat sink on the back. Power seems to be external only at the moment but theres some sort of connection on the back. After market battery plate connection maybe?

Google Drive album

....its probably just because us young guys just run around shooting "cinematic docu" style and half the time if we had EVFS we'd bounce into walls if we couldn't see around a monitor were shooting so fast.

Ive shot many doc,s now.. and have yet to to actually run into a wall :).. although I have bashed YoYo Ma,s borrowed Stradivarius Cello once ..~.. he was very gracious about it.. !..

Each to their own but I just like the focus of looking into a black hole with a frame inside.. and using the other eye at times too .. how do you deal with bright sun light.. not a dig.. just curious

Actually.. how do you ever focus off those monitors too !.. esp outside in the sun..

Edited by Robin R Probyn

• Premium Member

I must be old.. I would never operate off a monitor unless I had to.. :)

It's nice that EVFs have finally reached a point where they're pretty great to use (and easy to judge focus by). The big advantage to a viewfinder over a monitor is obviously the occlusion of light so that you can actually see your frame properly.

A 2200/2500 nit monitor changes the game a bit, in that now you can actually view your image clearly, even outdoors during the daytime. That's never really been possible before.

Now that I have an optical viewfinder on my camera with the Studio, I've become a total optical snob, but I can see this being HUGELY useful for ACs (confirming focus in the bright outdoors), as a portable split for the Director, or for operating in awkward positions where putting your eye to the viewfinder isn't feasible.

It's nice that EVFs have finally reached a point where they're pretty great to use (and easy to judge focus by). The big advantage to a viewfinder over a monitor is obviously the occlusion of light so that you can actually see your frame properly.

A 2200/2500 nit monitor changes the game a bit, in that now you can actually view your image clearly, even outdoors during the daytime. That's never really been possible before.

Now that I have an optical viewfinder on my camera with the Studio, I've become a total optical snob, but I can see this being HUGELY useful for ACs (confirming focus in the bright outdoors), as a portable split for the Director, or for operating in awkward positions where putting your eye to the viewfinder isn't feasible.

Totally agree with all the above.. wish I had this when I was a focus puller.. !.. screen does look shiny though..I think you,ll still get alot of reflections..you can see them in the video posted.. plus your eye will adapt to bright or dark surroundings.. but yes each to their own.. I do think its a generational thing.. I only use them for some dolly moves .. but would never think of using any on board as my primary VF.. because Im not used to them I guess is the reason.. but alot of younger folk have come from DSLR where a monitor was better than the tiny screen on the back of the camera.. or RED,s.. so thats what they are used to..

Have to be carful with some monitors with Sony,s 23.98p PsF output.. that is different from Arri and other camera,s.. alot of monitors wont accept the input and no picture.. used to be alot complaints from steady cam op,s.. put on an f55.. and no picture !

And well also.. I dont want everyone and their dog looking over my shoulder at the image.. or wanting to see replay every second shot..

Does the SmallHD 503 have OLED panel?

The 503 and 703 both have LCD panels. There is a 702 OLED coming out in march also that has the same style of housing as the other new models. Check out their website, should all be on there