Daylight (cloudy) for dusk

Hi guys

So being thrown a bit of a challenge (as if there never is one), got several pages of dialogue to shoot which all happens during dusk (after sunset) but due to the time restraint we have to achieve this by shooting day time and hopefully overcast day.

The location is 1860's Australian town so there would be candle lights from the houses coming by this time so I can light it warm hitting their faces but challenge is the daylight..especially a lot of extra work would have to be done if its not overcast. I plan to use butterfly scrims and even some negative fill

Alternatively I thought what if it was shot at night and light the background as an even dimm ambient light and simply replace the sky digitally.

But yeah any ideas would be appreciated.

I think if you underexpose the hell out of it and then hit them with a soft tungsten source it might work. candle light is getting tough I think you would need like 5k's or a handful of 2ks on a flickr box or dimmers going through alittle diff . assuming your playing it like there is a lantern at a distance away from them like on the opposite side of a porch or something.

seems a little dangerous though I donno how that will work.

the sky replacment might be a good route Im sure that has been done and tested....I'd talk to some CGI/Compositing people and take some example stills to show em exactly what you'd like to achieve.

I think if you underexpose the hell out of it and then hit them with a soft tungsten source it might work. candle light is getting tough I think you would need like 5k's or a handful of 2ks on a flickr box or dimmers going through alittle diff . assuming your playing it like there is a lantern at a distance away from them like on the opposite side of a porch or something.

seems a little dangerous though I donno how that will work.

the sky replacment might be a good route Im sure that has been done and tested....I'd talk to some CGI/Compositing people and take some example stills to show em exactly what you'd like to achieve.

Yeah one guy is standing on the porch so the light coming from the houses can hit him and he will be easier to light as he'll be already under shade so cut some more light to make the candle/lantern lights work...and the others are on the street and they throw dialogue back and forth, they'll be the harder ones to light...I'll be grading it so I know some things I can do..but rather would get as much in camera as I can, as far as tone its a very dark moment in the film as its the first time the character kills someone and he is only 17.