Ida

I saw it couple of days ago, after finding a post on FB with those links from AC.

Didn't read them, instead quick checked some non spoiler reviews and decided to watch.

Was very pleased with the film.

The visuals and coverage.

Those 4:3 frames with the top 1/2 of frame as headroom - weird but pleasing.

Was trying to find symbolism and meaning of it,

but if i understood correctly, the director and/or DP were also

surprised and pleased that people looked at symbolism in that framing

while it started as choice to make the 4:3 frame interesting and later they

needed to stick to that visual language.

Almost the entire movie is with static camera.

At first the story was so so for me, till the ending when it

beautifully made conclusion.

As time passes, i feel i like more and more this movie.

Definitely (Michael) Haneke Style can be felt at times.

If you know what i mean... :)

Best

Igor

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Loved the cinematography of this film. Regarding the use of negative space in composition, it served to make the frame feel closed yet incomplete. I interpreted it as the presence (or absence) of God in the lives of the characters. Whatever the reason for the framing choices actually were, it felt right.

• 1 month later...

I thought the film was pretty good, but I thought the cinematography was a little forced. The negative spacing was a cry for attention, in my opinion. I liked the choice to shoot in black and white as well as academy ratio. I kind of wished it was shot on actual film rather than an Alexa.

I just saw this film and think it's absolutely amazing. I loved the fact that there was so much headroom and the actors mostly filled the lower third of the frame. I thought it worked well with the story because it reinforces the idea that Ida is subservient to God and her aunt Wanda is depressed and weary of life. Also, the fate of what happened to Ida's parents weighs down heavily on both. What I did think was interesting was the fact that often what people are looking at or who people are talking to isn't shown sometimes - or at least cutting to the object or person is delayed for as long as possible. I'm thinking specifically of the scene where Wanda is in the bar and tells the bartender to give the guy next to her a drink and then asks him a question.

I also love the film's camera work, especially how the smooth long shots at the beginning are suddenly broken by the rush of a train when Ida leaves the convent.