Pulp - Do You Remember

James R Blann

Hi all,

What kind of rig do you think was used in this promo? I know that recently a Metronomy video (also below) used a custom made skipping rope looking thing but as this seems to have been shot on 16mm i'm wondering what they would've done differently.

- Pulp - 'Do You Remember?'

- Metronomy 'Month of Sundays'

Thanks!

For the Pulp Video, There is a " round the world" rig that uses a pseudo jib arm off a forklift. It allows for 180d of rotation around a central axis. There was a visa commercial that used it with a surf board. Ill look for it. That is closer to want is going on in that video.

The second clip is just a jib arm with stylized cuts and wipes. you could make it more complex but thats basically all a jib arm can do.

I think the rig concept is basically the same between all. The Arc of travel is constant, along with camera and settings (basically) so the background/ subject can change during a physical wipe but allow for a feel of continuity. The Art movies were pretty much the same between them just in tactile manner their rig was made, interesting look at rig as art. The Gopro is such a manipulatable camera physically, it can be rigged in bare minimums, the cost of the camera is frequently way less than an expendables budget. you could easily build a speed rail rig to travel your defined arc with a go pro if you are using a go pro or any number of small lightweight camera.