anarmorphic lens for a smartphone... need your help

My apology if this is not an appropriate place to post about lenses.

I did a search and only a few articles came up about this lens.

I am shooting shorts and possibly a feature with a smartphone in 4K native rez. The phone is at www.oneplus.net in case you're interested to see it.

Looking around for anamorphic lenses and found a few on ebay. I am going to make an assumption without much knowledge about lenses in general and ask a few questions:

- Due to a very small lens and sensor in smartphones the closest lens should be around 16mm size?

- Would regular 35mm lens work as well?

- Cinema anamorphic lens is better than a projection lens?

I understand completely how to mount a lens (on a rig) and how to get the phone's lens close as possible. It won't be mounted directly on the phone itself. The rig will be mounted on a platform and everything should be very solid.

Here's the lens I am thinking of buying, are these cinema or projector lenses?:

I don't know the differences and which one I should get.

-Sankor anamorphic 16F

-Sancor anamorphic 16C No.50015

-Sankor anamorphic cinemascope 16F

I solicit your advice for the questions above and I really appreciate it :)

One more thing, if you have used anamorphic lens on your smartphone, please let me know. I need to learn a lot :)

Cheers

A couple of preliminary thoughts, although the camera might give you images that have a 4k dimension, I really doubt that the lens in that camera can resolve to that detail, and if it could, it's unlikely it would have been installed correctly anyway.

Next thought, is that anamorphic lenses project a relatively square image, so you're going to lose most of that 'resolution' in the nature of the process.

Not saying don't do it, please, it's good to get involved any way possible :). Just don't expect 4K.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

Those lenses are projection lenses. They would work, but you'd need to work out ways to mount them and they also need to be focussed. You might also get some portholing (black corners) because projection lenses won't transmit a wide angle and smartphone lenses are generally pretty wide. I think you would be much better off using little anamorphic adapters specifically designed for smartphones, like this:

http://www.moondoglabs.com/store/

The phone camera already has a lens, so you can't use normal lenses (or cinema anamorphics) without special adapters, which can get very expensive and seems more or less pointless to me. There are quite a few affordable gadgets for smartphone filming available now (usually for iPhones), google it.

• Upvote 1

Chris,

Maybe I just use it as is, since it's a wide FOV .... don't need the other lens :)

I can always cut the frame in edit to be 720 and then it looks wide when I export it.

Here are some examples on a Blog about the camera and 4K video: www.opo4k.com

Man, that's one crazy good 4K but no manual controls is a big issue. Check out page-2

www.opo4k.com/page2.html for some spectacular images and video.

Edited by Theodore Rossini