video rear screen projection for film shoot

Can anyone share experiences regarding this? I will be shooting a car scene using rear projection. I will be projecting an image on to a screen ~9'x12'. How important is progressive scan source material? Any idea what size (lumens) a projector I might need? What other questions should I be asking?

• Premium Member

A friend of mine did just that - I was on the shoot as well. It worked out fine, actually. The plates were shot at night with a regular DV camera and the projected by a very powerful, big projector that the production rented. The girl driving was then shot on Kodak's 800T (when that still existed) and it came out very good and quite convincing.

No need to project progressively as I recall. And since it was an LCD proj, there were no scan bars or sync problems.

It looks like they do the car driving shots on "24" using this system. I'd love to find out if I'm right. If I'm wrong I don't want to know so I can maintain an infalable self image.

Guest Jim Murdoch
No need to project progressively as I recall. And since it was an LCD proj, there were no scan bars or sync problems.

If you use an interlaced scan projector and a 180 degree film camera shutter you'll only get half the scan lines on the final image, whcih may or may not be a problem, depending on the image size.

However, using an LCD-based projector will overcome this this and a number of other problems, so I would strongly recommend you only ever use this type of rear projection. Also, balancing the car interior's light level to the projected image is extremely critical to getting realistic results. If you have the time and money, the easiest way to do this is to simply shoot a series of tests, carefully recording the lighting for each one.