"The Conjuring" living room lightning

Hello everyone!

I'm new to cinematography.com, to introduce myself quickly, I'm a French aspiring Filmmaker, located in south of France, if some of you would like to see what I do, you can, here : www.damienkazan.com (not here to promote anything it's just that I know usually we have to introduce ourselves on forums before posting...)

I have a question about some lightning from "The Conjuring", the living room, desk, lightning, I was wondering how they lit that living room, looks like it is 90% lit by those lamps we can see on screen, does anyone know how to achieve a similar lightning please ?

post-67308-0-38710200-1425648413_thumb.jpgpost-67308-0-02296200-1425648435_thumb.jpgpost-67308-0-27757900-1425648460_thumb.jpg

Thanks a lot!

• Premium Member

Hello,

As far as I remember, John R. Leonetti A.S.C used as many practical lights as he could to light the interiors nights of "The Conjuring".

You could also use a couple of china balls or gem lights to achieve that feeling too with no problems.

You can listen to the very informative ASC Podcast about "The Conjuring" on the following link:

http://www.theasc.com/site/podcasts/conjuring-john-r-leonetti-asc/

Have a lovely day.

• Upvote 1

Hello,

As far as I remember, John R. Leonetti A.S.C used as many practical lights he could to light the interiors nights of "The Conjuring".

You could also use a couple of china balls or gem lights to achieve that feeling too with no problems.

You can listen to the very informative ASC Podcast about "The Conjuring" on the following link:

http://www.theasc.com/site/podcasts/conjuring-john-r-leonetti-asc/

Have a lovely day.

Thank you! I'll go listen to that right now! :)

Look at the armchair on the first screengrab. That light can't be produced by just the lamps. There's a bit of hard light going on, plus a bit of blue coming from the side of the wall we can't see.

Also, I think the walls would be darker if there was light only off the lamps. It looks too even and precise I think humbliestly.

Edited by John Miguel King

You're more than welcome! ;)

Have a lovely day.

Look at the armchair on the first screengrab. That light can't be produced by just the lamps. There's a bit of hard light going on, plus a bit of blue coming from the side of the wall we can't see.

Also, I think the walls would be darker if there was light only off the lamps. It looks too even and precise I think humbliestly.

Miguel Angel, have a lovely day too :)

John Miguel King, well I think you're right, actually in the link Miguel Angel posted, John R Leonetti says they used a lot of practical lights but they had a few tricks to intensify them, not extremely, but intensify them a little.

I'll probably make a mix of practical and hard lights on my shoot.

The walls are also what made me feel like there's more than just those lamps.

I've seen a lot of Celeb Flo used just for that. ;)

The celeb flo is awesome. Small, dimmable, dmx controllable, light, and with a wide choice of honeycombs. Great stuff.

Right! that's right, yet they seem well hidden if they used those ...

But you're right celeb flo would do the trick I believe

• Premium Member

I concur, Celebs are fantastic lights, as well as china balls if you know how to use them properly.

Soften the filmic lights could be a good idea either by bouncing them and softening them or just by softening them with frames, that way you can lose the direction of the light and everything will look more natural.

Bear in mind that you will need a very good production designer for the project so you all can create the atmosphere that you are looking for even before putting lights. You might be surprised as to how much you can achieve with a fantastic production designing!

I highly recommend that you watch a movie called "Joe" by David Gordon Green, its interior nights are really interesting and very powerful and they look very much like the frames you posted (a bit darker though which is always good!)

You will also need to have all the practicals on dimmers so you can set up the intensity of the light.

Have a good day!

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone !

I just come back on the forum to share with you the first teaser of that movie I was asking your help for, I'd love to hear your thoughts ! Thanks again for all the help guys !

Miguel, I'm sorry to not have replied earlier, we started shooting, then reshoots then pick ups, then I started editing the movie ect ect, thanks for your answer ! I've seen Joe at the movies when it came out and yeah that's right it the lightning inside is similar to what I was looking for, pretty good movie by the way !

I concur, Celebs are fantastic lights, as well as china balls if you know how to use them properly.

Soften the filmic lights could be a good idea either by bouncing them and softening them or just by softening them with frames, that way you can lose the direction of the light and everything will look more natural.

Bear in mind that you will need a very good production designer for the project so you all can create the atmosphere that you are looking for even before putting lights. You might be surprised as to how much you can achieve with a fantastic production designing!

I highly recommend that you watch a movie called "Joe" by David Gordon Green, its interior nights are really interesting and very powerful and they look very much like the frames you posted (a bit darker though which is always good!)

You will also need to have all the practicals on dimmers so you can set up the intensity of the light.

Have a good day!

So here's the link to the teaser, I hope you'll enjoy it ! (and I have no idea why Youtube compression gives me so much ugly pixels on some shots, the rendered file has none of those)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDx89q38mIo

Thanks again !

:)