Looking for an Eclair ACL 200ft Magazine, Heavy Duty Motor & Orientable Viewfinder.

Mark Harasimowicz

Hello,

I'm looking for a few Eclair ACL bits & pieces and wondered if anyone has any that may be surplus to requirement and are looking to sell.

I'm after a...

ACL 200ft magazine (or 2)

Heavy duty motor

Orientable viewfinder (with mount)

If any one can help, that would be great.

Thanks,

Mark

PM Patrick Tong (http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showuser=6849), he had 2 200' mags for sale a few months ago for a reasonable price. I was going to purchase one, but I just picked one up on ebay for pretty cheap.

Incidentally, this is listed on ebay right now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACL-ECLAIR-16mm-Camera-Package-3-200ft-Mags-Hafflex-HD-Motor-Arri-Mount-/271805099391. Probably not what you're looking for/more than you want to spend. But it does have 3 200' mags, and this "hafflex" motor, which I couldn't find much out about other than that it's exceedingly rare, and capable of many sync speeds if you have an external speed controller. I think. Anyhow, if you're interested in making an offer on that, I'd be happy to throw in $50 for the Arri lens mount adapter (assuming you don't want it of course).

Edited by Josh Gladstone

ACL 200ft magazine (or 2)

Heavy duty motor

Orientable viewfinder (with mount)

Hey Mark,

Are you looking for normal 16 or S16?

Are you trying to upgrade a camera that originally had a single speed motor?

If you are aquiring components like above for ACL then buying a whole kit is often the best way. That kit that Josh linked to on eBay is not a good contender in my view however. Unless that motor suits what you nedd or is highly valued by someone else you are better with the standaerd HD multispeed motor. The view finder is not a great type, the mount may not be the most useful. Finally, one needs to know whether the mags need a full service. Servicing mags costs. Ditto for the camera.

Thinking positively, here is my advice.

- Lots of ACLs in Europe, less shipping costs.

- Ask around, if you make a direct sale you might avoid import costs.

- Look for a kit that has all the goodies you want.

Arri-B and S mounts, PL mount

Angenieux or Kinoptic orientable viewfinder.

Mags, HD multispeed motor

Video tap

Handles and rods

I have seen whole kits with all that included sell for about $1K. You have to be patient.

The trick with eBay is to jump on the seller early with questions about the condition and servicing. An interrogation.

I would look in the UK and Europe, ask around, allow time for the responses. There are some really good service techs in Europe. Find a camera kit that has been properly cared for.

Good luck.

Edited by Gregg MacPherson

Oh I was absolutely not saying that was a good deal, I'm sorry if it seemed like I was. Just that it had an unusual motor and 3 200' mags.

Just for reference, the ACL I purchased recently was super16 with 3 400' mags, an AZ Spectrum crystal speed controller/selector in the base, an AZ Spectrum b/w video tap, angienieux orientable viewfinder, custom rails, top handle, run/stop custom handgrip, 3x4 mattebox, 4 batteries (which I had re-celled), a cameflex mount, pl mount, and an arri b -> cameflex adapter. And to top it off, an old Preston wired remote follow focus, a great pelican case with wheels, and a couple of changing bags. No lenses though, but all that for the low low price of $850. Unbelievable! And it was local, so not even any shipping. How could I say no?

Hi,

Thanks you all for the advice.

The kit on ebay is a bit too much. I have an ACL II Standard 16 in very cood condition - its complete as a camera so I can shoot. Though it only came with the 25fps motor which I prefer not to use with the two 400ft mags I have. So I've been using the one 200ft I have. My ACL has the standard viewfinder, which is small, doesn't add too much weight which the orientable ones will I think. But I'd like the option of holding the camera next to my chest and in lower positions. I did see a kit on French ebay around last december with the stuff I want - went for around £400-450, which is a good price, and now think I should have grabbed it. But with buying a PL adapter, film, processing, lenses, and possibly converting to Super 16, I decided to work with what I have. And haven't seen much on European ebays since. I'll keep looking and hopefully the stuff will come up.

Thanks again,

Mark

.... I have an ACL II Standard 16 in very cood condition - its complete as a camera so I can shoot. Though it only came with the 25fps motor which I prefer not to use with the two 400ft mags I have. So I've been using the one 200ft I have. My ACL has the standard viewfinder, which is small, doesn't add too much weight which the orientable ones will I think.

One great thing about standard 16 is that there are really nice old lenses that are cheaper than those covering S16. Old Schneider primes and Cooke Kinetal primes, which were Arri-S mount. And Zeiss 10-100 zooms. Maybe black magic pocket cam has lifted the prices on these.

You're right about the weight thing. As an extreme comparison, an ACL I with standard eyepiece, 24/25fps motor, Angenieux 12-120 zoom and battery on a belt feels nimble when hand holding. An ACL II with Kinoptik viewfinder, HD variable speed motor and on board battery feels more like an SR.

The English 400' mags worked fine with the ACL I with small 24/25 fps motor I had years ago. They had a special take up drive that had low friction. But the camera and mags were always well serviced. I always imagine that old lubricant could raise the friction and overload that motor. I still have a couple of those English mags here. Shame you aren't local, I could just lend them to you.

@Josh

I just didn't think that kit had enough enticing or useful elements. Sounds like you bought your own kit at a good price.

Edited by Gregg MacPherson

Hi Gregg,

Thanks for your insight.

I got my kit for £850 which came in very good condition - the camera body pretty much without a scratch. As you say, using the standard standard VF, 25fps motor, 200ft mag, and attaching a handgrip and sticking the battery in my back pocket, gives a light/compact/nimble set-up. That's why I chose the ACL over say an Arri.

I have a few older Schneider Cine Xenons, which are again nice and compact, as well as a Cooke 9-50mm, which is a big piece of glass but nice to use.

One of my 400ft mags is an English version with the takeup drive. I've read they were designed to enable use of 400ft loads with the smaller motors - its reasurring to hear that you've used them togeter OK. I give it try.

Thanks,

Mark