Emrah Gonulkirmaz

Hi Everyone,

I've been getting lot of useful information from everyone on this forum. As you can see this is my first posting, and I would like to thank everyone here.

After all this reading and learning....I've finally bought an Aaton A-minima Camera and starting to shoot next week for a project that I've been thinking & planning for awhile.

I wanted to post this topic to see if i can get more information about the camera that I've bought & would like to know / learn how to look after this Camera,( general servicing tips?).

Im including some information and couple of images below to start the conversation, I hope it will be helpful.

I bought the camera from the first owner, camera used under 50 rolls...Camera was lightly used...the set that i've bought includes;

-Aaton A-minima Body ( Serial No : A284 ) - Really curious about what this serial can tell? -

-Magazines (x3)

-Oppenheimer Battery Handle Accessory - anyone had an experience with this accessory ?

Battery Handle (x2)

Swan Neck" attachment

Mini-Base

15mm rods (4+2inch)

-Battery Charger, Cables, Pelican Case, some filmstocks, extra minima spools, cables....etc

post-67274-0-89552000-1426905165_thumb.jpg

post-67274-0-00372400-1426905249_thumb.jpg

(for more images...)

Thanks again,

_Emrah

Hi!

I just bought one of these as well.. Only used it on one project so far but I learned some stuff that might be useful to you.

- When using a lens motor, the mount & camera body jerks when doing extreme pulls. I was worried that this would affect the footage but it didn't show up at all. The mount and gate seems to be connected in some way by design so the jerking doesn't matter. I believe.

- All of my mags sound weird in one way or another. Doesn't affect footage but makes it hard to do sync sound. Good thing to try them all out if you plan on recording sound

- If you plan on getting a video tap, it's good to know that the Aaton BW one is quite muddy and you don't see much if you film in low light.

Your camera seems to be in a great shape tough!

best

/Adrian

Thanks Adrian

-Im definilty gonna keep an eye on mags, and see how they sound.....For the current project, i wont need to record any sound, so i might be ok....

-VideoTap was on my list if i found it as part of a-minima set....But instead of a videtap, handle set came with it.:)...Its pretty expensive when I consider it separately, maybe in near future...

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and experience...

Another discovery a friend made - when you have a lab spool film up to the minima daylight ones, you might loose like 5-10m of film. So I set my camera at 50m countdown and not 60m. To avoid disappointment :)

Don't know if this also applies to your lab though or if you do it yourself but good to know

Thanks Adrian

-Im definilty gonna keep an eye on mags, and see how they sound.....For the current project, i wont need to record any sound, so i might be ok....

-VideoTap was on my list if i found it as part of a-minima set....But instead of a videtap, handle set came with it. :)...Its pretty expensive when I consider it separately, maybe in near future...

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and experience...

You have to use your full real name, it's one of the forum rules. You need to contact Tim Tyler the site owner to make the change, since you can't do it yourself.

• 7 years later...

Hi everyone,

I have an upcoming project with the A-Minima and I have two main questions if you guys can help me out. 

1) We are shooting in Malaysia so there isn't a lab here anymore and it's a bit complicated with the core because the camera that we're renting only has about 10-15. That means we might need to re-wind film on to the cores ourselves and after we've shot on them to take the film off and put it on regular 16mm spools. This way i guess we can keep re-using the A-Minima cores and not send them to the lab. 

How difficult is it to do all of this? 

2) How bad is the BW Video tap in low light? If for-instance you had to put a 7stops ND (2.1) for outdoors would it be very bad? I am asking because I will mainly be relying on the Video Tap for framing because I wont be able to look through the viewfinder for this shoot.

Is it possible to attach a small camera for instance a GoPro or something to the viewfinder? I have a GoPro that comes originally with a C-Mount, I don't know if that could be of any help. 

Thanks a lot!!

• 1 month later...
On 3/15/2023 at 2:21 AM, Boris Kalaidjiev said:

Hi everyone,

I have an upcoming project with the A-Minima and I have two main questions if you guys can help me out. 

1) We are shooting in Malaysia so there isn't a lab here anymore and it's a bit complicated with the core because the camera that we're renting only has about 10-15. That means we might need to re-wind film on to the cores ourselves and after we've shot on them to take the film off and put it on regular 16mm spools. This way i guess we can keep re-using the A-Minima cores and not send them to the lab. 

How difficult is it to do all of this? 

2) How bad is the BW Video tap in low light? If for-instance you had to put a 7stops ND (2.1) for outdoors would it be very bad? I am asking because I will mainly be relying on the Video Tap for framing because I wont be able to look through the viewfinder for this shoot.

Is it possible to attach a small camera for instance a GoPro or something to the viewfinder? I have a GoPro that comes originally with a C-Mount, I don't know if that could be of any help. 

Thanks a lot!!

Perhaps a firmly attached iphone could do?