Black and white films stocks - what's available now?

• Premium Member

I had wondered about doing a skip-bleach to Vision color negative before conversion to b&w but probably the increase in graininess would be enough to make it no better than Double-X. Though doing a skip-bleach to 50D stock might still be finer-grained than Double-X, so one could conceivably use that technique for day exterior work and then Double-X, perhaps pulled one stop, for interiors.

• Premium Member

Do you have any examples of Double-X pulled? I can't find any.

From the description on the video the interiors were pull processed. Doesn't say how much, but it looks like about 1 stop. Read the description because they also used some filters which affected contrast.

• 2 months later...

if you can/have a splicer for 35mm film you could get 4 x 100ft rolls of pan f for a little bit more than the price of a roll of double x (around here at least)

pan f is an extremely nice film, it is also panchromatic.

can also be pulled to 25 iso, it has a really nice look and contrast to it and almost no visible grain.

I have used Fuji stocks to convert into black and white with great success. Given the fact that 16 millimeter Fuji is rather grainy right now it makes for a very good conversion. I have fooled some of the best.I have done some side by side comparisons with Fuji stock and Kodak stock converted to black and white and the Kodak actually looked like Digital.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Double X is certainly a grainy film but I still like the look for the right project. No doubt that it is a black & white film rather than desaturated Vision...mostly due to the grain. ;)

Agreed, but I'd still like to see Plus-X make a comeback. It was a gorgeous stock.

• Upvote 1

• Site Sponsor

We ran some S16mm 7222 for HBO's Vinyl and they wanted it pushed for extra grain.

One of the B&W shots we did for them at Cinelab is in the current trailer at about 1:00 in:

https://youtu.be/WBPQ0v86BUA

I think that better the XX22 grain is resolved the better it looks.

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...