Hi there,

This is my first post. What I need to know is how to get a 'happy ending' when whip-panning. What gear do I need?

Also, I have £1,000 to spend ($1,476) a week on the feature we're shooting in September. Half is outdoors, the other half has a control room (think The Bourne Ultimatum). What gear will cover me for the two aspects.

It would be great to hear back from some of you on this.

Thanks,

Haydn

• Premium Member

These are always tough shots to do -- a geared head will give a precise stop with no jerk but a fluid head gives you the speed, but it takes a lot of practice to get a smooth stop. Sometimes a rope cord can be used as a guide as to the stop point.

These days I suggest doing the whip slower so you can end more precisely and speeding up the center of the move in post.

• Premium Member

I think the specific tripod head would depend on which camera system you are using. My go to head for this would probably be an OConnor 2575D fluid head. In terms of technique on a fluid head, I would loosen the pan fluid to 0-1 and snug up next to the camera with my eye jammed in the eyepiece, left hand grabbing the front rods or bottom of the matte box, right hand on top of the film magazine or battery at the back of the camera. You have more fine control over the move this way, rather than sitting back and using an on-board monitor and the pan arm.

As Doug says, doing the whip pan in reverse could work if the end frame is just a quick reaction shot. If there's dialogue or significant action that has to happen afterwards then reverse shooting won't work.