What height of combo/rollers for 8 foot overhead frame?

d shea

It all depends on what you are doing. The higher the stand the beefed the stand most of the time. As your frames get bigger the beefier the better. wind can twist a smaller stand up pretty quick and its amazing the damage a singe fall can do to a stand. Three riser combos are pretty universal for smaller ( 6x, 8x) frames. Mombos are good for bigger frames (12x, 20x), much beefier stand that goes ~19ft. you can get wheels for them so they can convert to rolling stands. Mombos are more stable than Hi hi or hi rollers, bigger base, more weight. Mombos are also heavy and cumbersome.

D,

the avenger stand is fine for an 8x8. many reasons to go above 14'? you never know is the Challenge to that question.

Examples: diffusing raw sun through a second story window. diffusing sun over a tree branch. diffusing a light raised over a truck. bouncing a light because production won't rent a condor, the angle of the sun is just so that the frame has to be high to catch the light and be out of frame.i can go on.

I found when i owned gear that a 2 riser combo stand was almost worthless. nothing is more demoralizing than raising a light on a stand and then having to exchange stands because you needed another foot out of the stand. 3 riser combos are mandatory on a grip truck.

Thanks for your helpful reply

D,

the avenger stand is fine for an 8x8. many reasons to go above 14'? you never know is the Challenge to that question.

Examples: diffusing raw sun through a second story window. diffusing sun over a tree branch. diffusing a light raised over a truck. bouncing a light because production won't rent a condor, the angle of the sun is just so that the frame has to be high to catch the light and be out of frame.i can go on.

I found when i owned gear that a 2 riser combo stand was almost worthless. nothing is more demoralizing than raising a light on a stand and then having to exchange stands because you needed another foot out of the stand. 3 riser combos are mandatory on a grip truck.

Thank you for your helpful reply

• Premium Member

I carry four 14' triple-riser combos in the ute for both my 6x6 and 12x12 frames. As stands that are handy for both lights and grip, I think they make an efficient choice over more specific options like overhead stands.

I carry four 14' triple-riser combos in the ute for both my 6x6 and 12x12 frames. As stands that are handy for both lights and grip, I think they make an efficient choice over more specific options like overhead stands.

Efficient choice, how so? You still need a 4-1/2" head for the frame ear. That Hollywood head is another piece of gear to carry that can't be used elsewhere.

A lighting fixture with a 1-1/4 spud will drop right into an overhead stand.

you Can have a 4.5" head mounted permanently to the stand. Most top risers are 1 1/8" on combos, and a 4.5" grip head will drop on as a permanent top for the stand.

however, a 4.5" head is usable elsewhere. It can be used to mount a frame to a process car or grid. It can be used in lowboys to arm out a Menace arm. They are a great way to convert Plate connectors to JR receivers.

• Premium Member

Efficient choice, how so? You still need a 4-1/2" head for the frame ear. That Hollywood head is another piece of gear to carry that can't be used elsewhere.

A lighting fixture with a 1-1/4 spud will drop right into an overhead stand.

Well I get by just fine using smaller 2.5" grip heads with frames up to 12x12 (though I would want a 4.5" head for something larger like a 20x20). Having the larger head permanently fixed on an overhead stand doesn't make for efficient space usage when packing everything down. Combo stands, by comparison, pack down very neatly, and you can easily keep 2.5" or 4.5" grip heads packed into any old box.

And what do you mean by not being able to use a hollywood head elsewhere? I use them for everything - frames, flag, grip arms, finessing fixture positions.

And what do you mean by not being able to use a hollywood head elsewhere? I use them for everything - frames, flag, grip arms, finessing fixture positions.

When the Hollywood head is pressed into service turning a combo stand into an overhead stand, it can't be used elsewhere.

Didn't say the head doesn't have a dozen uses......

• Premium Member

When the Hollywood head is pressed into service turning a combo stand into an overhead stand, it can't be used elsewhere.

Didn't say the head doesn't have a dozen uses......

Ah, gotcha. Though I'd still argue it's a hell of a lot easier to carry an extra couple of Hollywood heads than it is an extra couple of full-sized stands.

Though of course the larger your lighting truck, the less of an issue it becomes.

Ah, gotcha. Though I'd still argue it's a hell of a lot easier to carry an extra couple of Hollywood heads than it is an extra couple of full-sized stands.

Though of course the larger your lighting truck, the less of an issue it becomes.

You end up carrying the Hollywood heads anyway and is a truck ever big enough? Always one piece of gear, "Just in case..." and no room to jam in in.