I said prob a book light just because of the wrapping quality and the fall off in the background. Could be a big frame with something like full grid too feels like a book light with neg fill or nothing on the other side though too me.

just a guess.

I said prob a book light just because of the wrapping quality and the fall off in the background. Could be a big frame with something like full grid too feels like a book light with neg fill or nothing on the other side though too me.

just a guess.

Looking at the fall off, I'd say the softness is due to it being a largish source and very close to the actors, perhaps just out of frame, rather than large frame further back. Could be a lamp through a 4' frame or even a kino with paper on the doors, but definitely close.

• Premium Member

I don't think it matters how he got the light to be soft -- bounce, diffused, book-light, etc. When it comes time to shoot your own project, how you achieve a soft key is going to be dependent on so many factors - space, color temperature, camera movement, power, stop needed, etc.

Sometimes I think there comes a point where some students are missing the forest for the trees -- the technical particulars are less important than the general effect and why it was done, especially with a lighting effect that can be achieved many different ways.