Hateful Eight

Confirmation that in the greater Boston area the real photochemical print of The Hateful Eight, direct from Fotokem, will be showing starting Christmas Day at the Somerville Theater just outside Boston in Somerville. It will be an actual, real Super Panavision 70 experience. I cannot wait, even though I think the film is going to not be that good. LOL.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to point out it's Ultra Panavision 70. I agree I think this is going to be bad ! Think it is going to be waste of shooting 65mm film , don't know for sure but looks like mostly interiors with to much dialogue waste of Ultra Panavision . And for me Samuel L Jackson is a good reason not to watch a film !!

• Premium Member

I'll say this much, there are two films being shot in 70mm right now and the next Planet of the Apes, which is a remake of the original film, will also be 5 perf 70mm. So that would be four 70mm originated films to be released from December of this year through sometime in 2017. That's not bad, considering we haven't seen a narrative feature shot on 5 perf 70mm prior to 'The Master' since the 90's.

I'm more concerned if studio's are going to consider it a gimmick, charge a lot of money for something that's just digitized and manipulated digitally before printing back to film. That will truly be disheartening because the whole idea is to do things the old school way and deliver something the audience can't see at home.

At least 'Hateful Eight' is doing it the right way. Complete photochemical finish, no green screen, everything in-camera and best of all, the only way to see it is 70mm for the first two weeks.

• Premium Member

To quote Roger Deakins:

I have seen many tests shot on the Alexa 65 and all have been very impressive.
I do feel that image resolution is not the 'be all and end all' in any definition of quality though. What is quality anyway? Does that make a camera that advertises 8K the best choice for every occasion?

And maybe it'll be ok? They shot Downton Abbey with the D-21 then switched to the Alexa and S4 Cookes. I THOUGHT it was film until the third season! Of course, I was watching it on Amazon/Netflix on my 24" computer screen. That said, I'm sure we all wish the next crop of big features were all shooting 65mm.

Sorry to say but I do have a bit of inside and yes it is Alexa 65 . Sorry I feel as bad as you about it . Along with a lot of other Cinematographers and the BSC and the two labs that that process and transfer film to 4K plus Kodak we are trying very hard to keep film an option !

I think that if you sit far away from your screen, you won't be able to tell the difference, unless it's a big screen, you really need a big screen, and not be too far away (obviously, duh :D ), or home theater setup with projector and 120 inches + screen. I love watching movies on my 120 inch screen, but I also love sitting really close to my computer screen from time to time and watching movies shot on film, so I really get the texture up close.

• Premium Member

The point is, you can blow 70mm up onto a huge screen and it doesn't fall apart. Plus because it's a larger negative, registration issues aren't as obvious. Even watching Interstellar's 35mm bits, optically blown up to 70mm was like watching digital projection, it was rock solid. In IMAX, the credit sequence at the end was so crisp and flawless, I had to turn around to see whether they changed projectors.

I think that if you sit far away from your screen, you won't be able to tell the difference, unless it's a big screen, you really need a big screen, and not be too far away (obviously, duh :D ), or home theater setup with projector and 120 inches + screen. I love watching movies on my 120 inch screen, but I also love sitting really close to my computer screen from time to time and watching movies shot on film, so I really get the texture up close.

I have a 60" Vizio tv and even when The Master comes on, on HBO (so not the best feed), I can see the difference. Colors are richer, the depth of the image is finer, and of course very low grain. I never buy that 'won't see the difference' argument. Format influences the look of the final image far more than people realize. That's why I love the variation we have these days, from Super 8 to 70mm to Alexa65!

I was hoping the new Planet of the Apes was shot on film, but I have also read its the Alexa 65. They are shooting it locally to me here and in the Valley. I want to see Hateful 8 on 70mm projection, but I don't believe there is one film theater left for 70mm here in Vancouver. I asked the Seattle Cinerama theater if they will be showing it. They have Star Wars booked for the time period, but they said its possible they may show Hateful 8 after Star Wars has ended. Whether they show digital or film would be in question, since the Seattle Cinerama prides itself using a 4K laser projection setup.

There was talk earlier that demand for shooting on 65mm has increased of late, that Panavision was considering building new cameras to meet demand. They haven't decided on that yet.

Where is the theater list I can view to see who is showing Hateful 8 in 70mm? I want to see this badly, but don't know what my closest option is.

• Premium Member

I've been searching for a while and I have yet to see any list of theatres for Hateful 8.

I'm hoping they'll show it in Atlanta, or somewhere equally close tho I don't think there's a 70mm projector in Cincy.

• 4 weeks later...