Extract 24P from 60i without any loss in proves 4:2:2

Raj Kowoski

Just finished shooting a feature with 2 cameras - BMCC 4K and C100. Recorded at 24fps, 1080P, prores 4:2:2.

C100 recorded on Atmos Ninja via HDMI. So, recorded footage is 60i. When I import .mov file, it comes in as 29.97i 1080i. Using Apple Compressor to convert 60i to 24P prores 422 and noticed that final converted files are half the size of source files. Is that normal? Are there any other 2:3 pulldown software that leave the image quality intact?

• Premium Member

I don't think compressor can encode 4K media, it's pretty much a 1920x1080 or lower program. Just make sure your settings are 100% in the output.

You can try cinema tools if you have an older version of FCP. However, the flags must be perfect for it to work.

Also, if the flags are set right, your NLE should be able to translate on the fly. However, I have no idea if the Ninja writes proper flags.

Thanks, Tyler. Got off the phone with Atmos support and they recommended that I don't have to go through conversion. FCPX has built-in functionality that will drop the extra frames when I drop the footage to timeline. Confirmed that it works. So, I have the same timeline set at 1080P, 24fps that shares 29.97i and 24 p footage. Hope this helps.