How to simulate a webcam?

Hi everyone,

I will shoot a showreel/short of an actress doing a monologue on a webcam, I think to use a GoPro or just a DSLR with a wide-angle, and on top of the camera the icelight to simulate the cold temperature color of the computer screen.

Then in editing add some video and audio imperfections, like video delay, stuck, interference.

Any suggestions?

• Premium Member

You could simply export it from your edit software using very heavy compression, which would get you realistic results.

If you want to control things more specifically, After Effects is your friend. I've done quite a bit of this sort of thing; displacement

mapping sourced from a layer based on the fractal noise effect set to block mode works quite well. You can overlay some of the brightest parts of the fractal noise onto the image for more distortion. This is a still some stuff I did for a sci-fi military thriller; of course the orange-ness is optional.

post-29-0-37757300-1431082214_thumb.jpg

P

• Premium Member

Another option you'll have in your pocket, literally, is a cell phone recording video which you could probably tape to a laptop screen and then you can open and close the laptop etc

Plenty of solutions.

Hell you could even use a real laptop skype conversation and use a screen capture program to record it-- or a photobooth type thing.

• Premium Member

I'd think a GoPro would be similar quality to what you could get off of something like an iPhone6 these days. But yes, the point stands. GoPro is an ok choice-- though the super wide lens may not be what you're after.