Formatt filters

I'm considering starting a collection of 4x4 glass filters. Probably going to start with a basic ND set, and then move on to getting a set of Black Pro Mist. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience using Formatt filters? I'm not sure whether I should just look out for second hand tiffen filters?

Obviously 4x4 filters are cheaper than 4x5.65, but what are your opinions on 4x4 filters?

• Premium Member

I use 4x4s and for the most part never have much of an issue. There are some wide wide angle lenses where I'll need to switch out to 6x6s, but i'd say 99% of the time, my 4x4s are fine.

I used Formatt a few times for ND, and it went very green. I don't know if they have gotten better or if this was just a response on a particular digital camera-- but in all honesty, I'd look out for Tiffens or Schneiders. With filters, there is little reason to go cheap since they should last you a long long time so you amortize the cost over their lifetime.

• Upvote 1

I use 4x4s and for the most part never have much of an issue. There are some wide wide angle lenses where I'll need to switch out to 6x6s, but i'd say 99% of the time, my 4x4s are fine.

I used Formatt a few times for ND, and it went very green. I don't know if they have gotten better or if this was just a response on a particular digital camera-- but in all honesty, I'd look out for Tiffens or Schneiders. With filters, there is little reason to go cheap since they should last you a long long time so you amortize the cost over their lifetime.

Thanks for the response Adrian. I guess I will keep an eye out for Tiffen filters, they are the brand that I always hear of. First time I heard Formatt was yesterday whilst searching on BBlist at secondhand filters. Most filter trays I work with seem to have 4x5.65, but from experience I think 4x4 filters also fit into these trays.

• Premium Member

What matte boxes do you work with most? If you're looking for a long term investment, I would go with 4x5.65. Nobody wants to rent 4x4.

If you buy used filters online, ask for pictures. I like it when the filters are lined up under a solid white surface so you can see if there's a color shift or not. Some of the old Tiffens and Schneiders go green or magenta around N9. The Tiffen White Water ND line is good.

• Upvote 1

What matte boxes do you work with most? If you're looking for a long term investment, I would go with 4x5.65. Nobody wants to rent 4x4.

If you buy used filters online, ask for pictures. I like it when the filters are lined up under a solid white surface so you can see if there's a color shift or not. Some of the old Tiffens and Schneiders go green or magenta around N9. The Tiffen White Water ND line is good.

Most of the time I am working with 4x5.65 trays, so it would make sense to go for that size filter. Can 4x4s still work in 4x5.65 trays?

• Premium Member

I would say go for 4X5.6 which is a better format and will cover your lenses even with wide lenses (almost all of them in any brand)

4X4 can work with 4x5.6 trays, and sometimes the 4x5.6 trays will have the marks for the 4x4 filters too, meaning the two little things which hold the filter in the bottom of the tray.

Sometimes the rental house will provide a 4X4 mat for the tray (although I have seen that in just one camera rental house in Spain) or a tray with just the 4x4 hole in a 4x5.6 tray (which is very normal)

On a side note, if you are about to place the filter on the lens with just tape, the way I like doing it is:

1) Placing tape over the front barrel of the lens with half of it out of the lens

2) Cutting the tape with scissors from the outside until the lens itself (very carefully so you don't touch the glass)

3) With the tape looking as "a flower" you put the filter on the lens and stick all the tape on the part of the filter which is not touching the glass.

4) Secure the filter a bit more and that's all.

Probably Satsuki or even yourself will be able to explain it much better!

Have a good day!

• Premium Member

Miguel, I think you should make a video and upload it! :)

The 4x4 filters will all fit, the question is will they stay? If you don't have a combo tray with the little 4x4 cutouts, the smaller filter could just pop out.

• Premium Member

Maybe it's a personal preference thing; but I never liked rectangular filters-- i've always gone square, either 4x4 or 6x6-- but you pick what you'll use the most. I personally haven't had a problem with 4x4s (and yes they can fit most 4x5 MBs) and you save a few bucks, which may or may not be important.

• Upvote 1

For the first time today 4x4 filters didn't fit into the filter tray. I think production had hired kit from different places so it didn't all match.

Had to use tape to hold the filter in, luckily we stayed with the sam black pro mis 1/8 for the whole shoot day.

post-52914-0-69088100-1431196218_thumb.jpg

For the first time today 4x4 filters didn't fit into the filter tray. I think production had hired kit from different places so it didn't all match.

Had to use tape to hold the filter in, luckily we stayed with the sam black pro mis 1/8 for the whole shoot day.

attachicon.gif11228048_10205788759992474_5533294084703260312_n.jpg

if thats a 4x5.65 Tray %100 you can place 4x4 filter inside that.

• Premium Member

Yeah pretty sure 3x3 was 16mm and maybe some 8mm stuff. I have hardly ever seen/used them, though a director I know out here has his "special" e.g. Pain in the ass, 3x3 filter set which we're always kludging into a 4x4.

3x3 were used on 16mm cameras. The old Arri Bellows matte took them or a 4x3 in the filter tray.

The front of dia zoom lenses was smaller (apart from the 9.5 - 95mm Angenieux), so the 3x3 could easily be used with a clip on matte box or the bellows matte box.