Welding/Grinding/Metalwork Lighting Effect

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice/ideas/thoughts on a lighting effect I'm trying to recreate.

I'm shooting a micro-budget short next week which features a scene of building/metalwork going on behind a closed door. I found a good reference for the effect I'd like to recreate (00.00-00.02):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6JTi__Mtb8

One slight difference from the reference is the scene will be shot at night and moonlit. So far the only idea I really have had is to try a couple of blondes on dimmers and maybe add some sparks in post and let the sound design carry the effect. I'd be keen to hear if anyone else has tried this and what the outcome was.

For the shoot I'll have a 2.5k Par HMI, some Blondes, Red Heads, 650W Fresnel and some Dedolight 150W, unfortunately I don't have a welder!

Thanks in advance for any input.

Alan

The flashing in the video reminds me more of lightning or an electrical arc flash than welding. Welding, neither stick (arc), MIG or TIG, will throw a big plume of sparks. Oxy/Acetylene cutting torches do. If that's the effect you want, an angle grinder applied with a heavy hand on a chunk of scrap steel will give you that look..

Thanks for getting back, JD, will try do some tests with a flicker box and couple of lamps. There may well be an angle grinder at location to try make some real sparks as well.

Phil, that thing looks amazing, would love to get a hold of one! Sadly all kit has been begged, borrowed and stolen, no money left.

Thanks, guys.

We used a welding kit for an electrical flashing effect on a short. If you know someone who owns a welding kit it would be a matter of persuading them to operate it to create the effect (unless a member of the crew knows how to operate one). The effect is much better in lower light levels. Try local engineering or car repair companies and give them a thanks to credit.

Are you looking for sparks or arc flash or both? An angle grinder will deliver the sparks. You wouldn't want someone using an electric welder on set, too much ultraviolet. As I said, welding doesn't produce a shower of sparks unless it's a gas cutting torch.

Edited by JD Hartman