still lenses?

Greetings.

I just bought an Arri 35III, with a PL mount, but lenses these days are often more expensive than cameras themselves, so I'm thinking of using still lenses for starters. Let me just say that I am aware that a still lens is no replacement for a real cine lens. I know about some of the problems I can expect, but I'd like to hear some opinions about image quality.

If I were to use a Canon or Nikon zoom lens, with a PL adapter, can I expect a decent image quality, and frame coverage? I know these lenses are designed to cover a larger frame, so I should be OK right?

Any other warnings or advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Edgar

The flange distance on the Nikon & Canon mounts are less than the 52mm for a PL mount, so there is no way you can adapt them.

I gather there is a Hasselblad CF mount to PL adapter. This one I believe is $360, but you may find others.

Hi, thanks for the explanation...

here is a PL to M42 mount I found on ebay also:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adapter-ARRI-Arriflex-PL-Mount-F3-RED-Alexa-C500-Scarlet-M42-Screw-Lens-/371275158200?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5671b952b8

It says in the description that only some M42 lenses work with it. I have an old Practica SLR, which uses M42 mount, so maybe that's another cheap option.

The trouble with using my CF lenses is that I don't have a very wide lens, and on 35mm MP, the zoom factor will be huge compared to 6x6 MF, I suspect. So I'd have to probably buy another CF lens for wider work, and those are often nearly as expensive as some older cine lenses.

In that adapter they've put a screw mount into a PL mount. The limitation would be the outside diameter of the lens. If it's too wide you won't be able to screw the PL mount onto the back of the lens.You'll have to measure your lens to ensure that it'll fit inside the "52.50mm, depth is about 8.50mm ".

One more question.

Speaking of that m42 adapter, I see that the flange focal distance for M42 is smaller (about 45mm) than Arri PL (which is 52mm). So basically what they did with this adapter is they placed the entire lens barrel into the opening of the PL mount and moved it back into the body of the camera by a couple of mm so that the lens moves closer to the film plan, otherwise it would have been impossible to focus to infinity. Am I correct in saying this?

Yes.

IIRC there was a fashion a while back for adapting Hasselblad lenses to cine use, but of course being intended for 6x6cm film the lenses are longish, with nothing under 40. Even the 40 and 50 are rather heavy retrofocal designs.

The standard 80 is as sharp as a tack.

Edited by Mark Dunn

I have the 80mm CF Zeiss for Hasselblad. I'm sure I'll make use of it, but that's going to be a very long lens for 35mm MP frame. That's pretty much the equivalent of 50mm for still 35mm. Am I right in assuming that I'd have to take a 28mm lens (for use on the motion picture camera), of any sort (be it medium format or 35mm still), to get a 50mm equivalent for still 35mm? Sorry didn't know how to phrase this more elegantly.

Edited by Edgar Nyari

On full frame 35 stills a 50mm angle of view is around 40 degrees, on a 35mm motion picture camera (not Super 35) a 30mm has that angle of view, so 28mm would be your closest if you want a common lens with a similar angle of view.

There is in fact a Zeiss 30 for the Hasselblad but it is very rare and still fetches a couple of thousand by the look of it. (pounds or dollars).

it's still not that wide on S35.

Edited by Mark Dunn

Hey guys, I'll use this thread to ask you something else quickly, even though it's off topic.

Can I use any video power supply that has a 4-pin XLR connector (like for use with video cameras)? I assume pin wiring is the same in all of these units and compatible with movie cameras.

Of course, if it supports enough amps. 35-III motor draws 2.5 A at 24FPS, so 5A will suffice except maybe for high speed work.

Edited by Edgar Nyari

I would look into the PL converted Sigma 18-35 1.8 lens. You can find them on eBay. GL Optics does a great conversion, but of course, there's also a budget conversion done by a Chinese company. It's an excellent lens, and will give you coverage. The Tokina 11-16 Duclos conversion is another option. These both run ~$3000

Yea. I've seen chipped shutters (from using a wrong lens) on some of the older cameras I looked at, like 2C.

Could someone please leave a comment about the power supply question I asked a couple of posts ago?

• Premium Member

Edgar

Assuming pin wiring is correct - you should be fine. I believe 12V XLR 4-pin is a universally standard wiring

Except when it's a 24v XLR 4-pin connector as on the Moviecam cameras! Don't know why they did that...