Recording video assist on 16mm

Hey,

I'm looking for some technical expertise..

I have an Arri SR3 Adv, with a video assist - see pic. The output is an analogue phono cable which I have running into a small 7" monitor. The only practical use for the video assist, and all I need it for, is framing. All in all the set-up works pretty well, but it would be handy if I had a way to record the video assist image.

Does anyone know a simple way to record the signal? Either an affordable small recording monitor with phono input, or I was thinking perhaps some hardware and software to turn the analogue signal to digital and record on a laptop.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks, Greg

post-64988-0-56258700-1433354461_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder if one of those old hard drive based DV recorders or HDV recorders would do the job?

Ok this works. I bought a DVR, which are usually used to record CCTV footage. The phono from the video assist goes to the DVR video-in, then another phono cable from the DVR video-out to the monitor. Playback can be viewed on the monitor, and the DVR records onto an SD card so can be easily viewed on a laptop.

The DVR is small and very light, it's attached to the back of the monitor with adhesive velcro. A small 12v battery powers the monitor and the DVR, I'm looking into ways to attach this battery.

Pics and links below. Apologies for my shoddy phone camera..

post-64988-0-33737900-1435569101_thumb.jpeg

post-64988-0-11962100-1435569116_thumb.png

http://m.ebay.co.uk/...8624?nav=SEARCH