Canon C100 Mark II vs Canon C300

Amanda Ochoa_68303

Hi!

I am looking to buy a new camera and am deciding between the Canon C100 Mark II and the C300. I plan to use it for independent docs but will also use it for making real estate videos or home tours.

I was originally set on buying the C300 because I thought it was a much better camera, but after doing some research I am not sure that is true.

Is it a better investment to buy the C100 Mark II or the C300? Thanks!

-Amanda

• Premium Member

If you're not doing greenscreen or films where you want the ability to shoot variable frame rates, then the C100 is fine.

The C100 has a 15mbps bit-rate recording mode which is half of what the C300 provides, but it again it is mostly helpful for greenscreen. That said, I have done it on both cameras individually and together without issue so it can't be done with good lighting. The other nice benefit of this is that the cards last forever.

The C100 can also only do 1920x1080 24p, 30p, or 1280x720 60i, whereas the C300 can do 1920x1080 1-30fps, 1280x720 31-60fps. But if you're shooting 24p or 30p most of the time, then it doesn't matter as much.

The C100 with the sensor upgrade and I'm assuming Mk2 natively has a very capable auto focus with Canon EF lenses, which is great for documentary and ENG style shooting. And it's lighter than the C300. There is no timecode input, unlike the C300. It's not quite as easy to navigate the menus, but otherwise it's a fine little camera. I like it quite a bit.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Amanda, I'm not sure if you made your buying decision or not by now, but for your purposes, the C100 Mark II sounds like the right camera for you. I think the extra features of that camera will come in handy for your work.

I realize this thread is a couple of months old by now, but I still want to add a correction or two to Satsuki's reply:

I know you weren't asking about the original C100 but he offered a couple of specs for that camera which are incorrect. The C100 does not have a bit rate of 15Mbps, but it does have bit rates of 7 Mbps, 17 Mbps, 24Mbps, and 24 Mbps LPCM. The C300 has bit rates of 25 Mbps, 35 Mbps and 50 Mbps, but it records internally to MPEG-2, while the C100 uses the AVCHD codec so it's not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison when it come to compression. Also, the C100 does not offer the 1280x720 resolution option.

Hope this helps, good luck.