ND problem with DVX100

Marcel Zyskind

Hi

I have raised this problem before, but I'll try again, maybe someone got the answer now that this camera has been used for some time.

I like to use nd's in front of the lens, but I've had this problem with the colors going off, the blacks going dark red or purple when using heavy nd's in front of the lens. It is not correctable in telecine. I have also seen this on the xl1 some time ago. I have never seen it on the pd150 though. I have been using tiffen filters.

Someone suggested that I should try Schneider filters, but I have not have had time to test them yet. I have also heard of mirrored nd's, but have not had the chance to try these either.

I would like to source this problem, since I start production on a film soon, where we will be shooting in harsh sunlight and I would like to use nd's in front of the lens.

Many thanks

Marcel

• Premium Member

I've never had that problem so I can't help you. You shouldn't have problems using ND.30 to ND1.2 filters, even if they don't use "water white" (or is that "white water"?) glass. Any heavier, or stacking them, you may start to have problem.

• Premium Member

I've never had that problem either. I've shot with a wide range of Tiffen ND's (from slight to heavy and stacked) with many different XL1s's, XL2's, PD-150's, and 170's. I can't think of what would cause that either. I've never used a DVX100 personally but know a handful people who have. They all use Tiffen filters, too. Might be an issue with the camera, something Panasonic or Tiffen needs to address. Does the camera work well otherwise?

Hi

Thanks for your replies!

I've had a look at these water white nd's next to regular nd's and on the grads you can really see a difference in the glass, the water whites are much "cleaner" and the regulars have a slight green tone to them...

Maybe that's where the problem lies.

All the best

Marcel