The Krasnogorsk-3 Katastrophe

Luke Roberts

So I wrapped production on a guerrilla short, but a couple of mishaps occurred during the process.

The first one was when the Krasnogorsk-3 took a fall. It didn't descend super fast, but enough to damage the cosmetics a tad. Checked everything. Thought the film advancing sounded off. Then it got really off. Opened it up briefly (in somewhat subdued light) and inside it was a mess (film all over the place). I covered myself with a coat and examined the innards, and indeed something went wrong. The take up spool wasn't taking anything up. Thankfully there wasn't much film left, but I wound the rest into the take up by hand. Then I loaded the next roll.

The next 100' went smoothly until the same problem (take up spool not taking) recurred to a lesser degree. Again near the end. As far as exposing it, I was in a controllable lighting situation, but I'm guessing the film may be scratched up a bit there, which might actually look cool. I was shooting handheld at this point, and I did move the camera a bit. I'm wondering if that has to do with it? Or perhaps I have permanently damaged the camera?

Appreciate any expert hypotheses, thoughts, and comments. I can post a video(s) if needed.

Double post. Sorry.

UPDATE: I noticed the Take-Up Spindle tends to wobble a bit. The metal take-up tends to scratch the big inner plate intervallically when the camera is running of course.

Edited by Luke Roberts

...intervallically....

Delightfull, a new word for me. So there is a sctratch event at regular (intervalic) points in time?

Hey the Bolex used to be the camera that all beginers and experimental film makers used here. They are still a great little camera, but some now will be to long since their last lube. Service needs to be regular (intervalic, dare I try that)

• Premium Member

I love the K3 for what it's good for; the run-n-gun handheld shots you can't get any other way. However, if you move to an Arri SR you will be blown away with the difference in stability. Having a 400' load option is nice too...although I still use 100' loads often.

Remember however that is a very different camera and not really easy for handheld shots. Everything has to slow down a little when moving from a handheld 16mm.

Best to have both honestly. I was so sick of winding that K3 that I went to Scoopics for that type of work and haven't missed my K3.

I love the K3 for what it's good for; the run-n-gun handheld shots you can't get any other way. However, if you move to an Arri SR you will be blown away with the difference in stability. Having a 400' load option is nice too...although I still use 100' loads often.

Remember however that is a very different camera and not really easy for handheld shots. Everything has to slow down a little when moving from a handheld 16mm.

Best to have both honestly. I was so sick of winding that K3 that I went to Scoopics for that type of work and haven't missed my K3.

With the handheld shots I've filmed it's hard to notice the K3's jittery quality. The winding was a pain for me too. I had to be careful not to pull the key out, which happened once. The Scoopics look nice, but I'm not fond of the flickering, and they seem hard to find.