The difference is the lens

Jose luis villar

The 1014 XL-S is notoriously soft when opened up. Were you wide open or nearly wide open?

Even the 814 (both auto zoom and xl-s) are sharper.

I'm sure you had your Schneider stopped down quite a bit outdoors in direct sunlight with 200 Asa reversal. So that will make it look sharper than the nearly wide open 1014 indoors.

He does his own color work. He has mastered the art of the flat scan with premiere pro rgb curves.

Closed down to 8 the 1014 is ok. Once you get inside of 5.6 or get wide open its crazy soft.

Did you have your pressure plate in the cart used in the 1014? If so, your camera may once have been collimated for film expected to be flat against the cart pressure pad rather then flush against the gate. This would exaggerate this problem.

If you didn't have your pressure plate in. Use it next time. That may fix it.

Hi Anthony, David is right, Ochoypico give me a flat telecine and I do the color correction using curves.

I don't use the pressure plate with the Canon, did a test and it gave me problems of drag, only used with the Beaulieu.

Ahh. That's too bad. That could be a take up torque issue on the camera. As you know, that lack of pressure plate means the film plane can move quite a bit and the effects of this will be more significant at longer focal lengths and wider appetites. Based in your footage I don't think there is anything "wrong" with your 1014. It might be tweak able to make it better but I bet if you are stopped down to 8 or more and keep it as wide as possible you won't get that softness.

• 2 weeks later...