Fluorescent lighting in this scene?

• Premium Member

The fundamental answer is that nobody can really tell you, as it's possible to do so much in grading.

However, overlooking that, that cyan colour is frequently associated with fluorescents described as "cool white", when they're rendered on film. Again, given grading, it's impossible to be sure, but they don't look like daylight flos to me. Too greenish. Daylight flos would be more blue.

P

• Premium Member

Looks like Cool White tubes with the camera set to 3200K. There are no standards for Cool White tubes, they are often in the upper 4000K range with about the equivalent of anywhere from 1/4 Plus Green to Full Plus Green gel in terms of the amount of green, the cheaper, the greener. Blue + green = cyan.

Or they could be Chroma or Optima 50's (5000K with just a hint of green) or Vita-Llite (5500K with a hint of green) but Cool Whites are more likely.

I remember shooting something similar, but in 16mm and I was shooting inside a 7Eleven, That did not had permition to change the lights, so we shoot with the regular flourecent green color bulbs, but my film stock was 250D (color tmperature blue) and what I got it was a color very similar to that one in the photo.

But then again you can manipulate the image now in post production and get those same colors