Sony 11-16 vs tokina 11-16 rehoused pl

Sony SCL-P11X15 11-16mm vs tokina 11-16 2.8 pl rehoused

I'm interested in either purchasing a Sony SCL-P11X15 11-16mm or a gloptics rehoused tokina 11-16 2.8.

Can you advise on which lens would perform better or worse and any technical considerations, if pricing were equal.. If you have any experience..

Would be for an amira, red epic and new blackmagic Ursa mini. (but not limited to those cameras). To supplement my red zoom 50-150 and 17-50 for doc work.

Thanks guys!

I was looking for that factory released model, but not for sale yet. Pricing (quoted) will be around the price of the duclos or gloptics conversion. I like the duclos mod. But the gl has an option for switchable mounts (pl/ef/sony)

the Tokina 2.8 11-16 is great for the APS-C sensor, but I don't know about Super35 sensor (I should slap it on a 4K BMCC super35 global shutter and find out). I know on the full frame sensor EF Canon camera, it vignettes like the Dickens. With a full frame sensor, 16mm is okay, but at 15mm, you see the front threads in lower corners. Images look like GoPro wide angle. If that's the look you want, go for it.

I can't guarantee the 2.8 is parfocal zoom at every f stop. For documentary interview, you might be tack sharp zoomed in at 16mm and then soft at 11mm. Have to run tests at f/8 and higher, and f/8 and lower, and be sure.

The 3.0 cine is designed to be parfocal zoom. I hope the pull focus on the cine version is better than the still camera version, seeing the 0.8 pitch focus gearing. And nice to have manual f-stop ring.

as you've mentioned, no PL version yet for the 11-16. Only for the 16-35mm and the 50-135mm. Stay tuned!

btw I would keep the 2.8 in the EF version and pick up a used 2.5K on eBay and have the Tokina/BMCC for mounting on speeding car chases and also flying rigs on heavy-lift drones. The 2.8 is light for drone flight whereas you don't want to risk a heavy $2K glass optic for drone work. or car crashes.