Why is double quarter blue not half blue?

• Premium Member

This is common knowledge that two quarters don't make a half, just as two halves don't make a full. I suspect it has to do with; well physics (moreso the thickness of the gel; the air-gap between two gels, a slight color compounding in the underlying medium to which the gel pigmentation is applied, and general goblins. ) Though in truth; often, though not perfect, douvbling halves or quarters or eights etc is as they say "good enough for government work"

Speaking of "air gap", is is better to have the two sheets touching or spaced apart? I've had DPs insist on spacing the two sheets applied to opposite side of an open frame with some wadded gaff. Any science between one method or the other?

Building up the overtime.. ?

That would only make sense on a union shoot.

Anyway....I think I going to shoot an an email to Rosco. Would be good to be able to get a definitive answer on "air gap", if one exists. It will probably fall into the Double Jeopardy category: "Misconceptions in the Grip department".

• Premium Member

Speaking of "air gap", is is better to have the two sheets touching or spaced apart? I've had DPs insist on spacing the two sheets applied to opposite side of an open frame with some wadded gaff. Any science between one method or the other?

probably for cooling. if you have dense gels they would build up lots of heat and the one closer to the lens may melt at least a bit

• Premium Member

it depends a lot on what gels you use. for example CTB heats a LOT more than a CTO (you can see this by comparing the transmission percentage. if a gel has for example 25% transmission then you can assume that about 75% of the visible light hitting the gel converts to heat (maybe less because the gel surface also reflects small amount of the light back to the fixture) . and that is A LOT of heat if you are using for example 5K tungsten behind a CTB

Rosco said:

In general, if you place two filters in a frame together so that they are touching, they will eventually melt together. So, although I don’t specifically know, my guess is that yes what you are describing is an in the field solution to keep the filters from melting together. That will help them remain usable longer.

Hope that helps!

Wendy

Wendy Luedtke

Product Manager for Color and Lighting

Rosco Labs

I'm hoping that she will forward the question on at Rosco Labs and I'll be able to share a more scientific answer.

The heat dissipation thing does make sense, now we need empty flat frames with heat dissipation channels so we can have convective cooling of the gels.

Edited by JD Hartman

• Premium Member

Good thought.

Interestingly, the Rosco site does suggest a one-inch air gap between the heat shield and any other filters, for the reasons of cooling we've been discussing. I shall leech an image from their server to illustrate:

Heat-Shield-illustration-265x300.png