Breakdown of most used cameras for reality please.

Ryan Brown

I do a lot of narrative, but I've recently been contacted by a large reality production company and they may want to bring me on to DP one or more of their shows. I generally shoot RED, Alexa, and Canon (5d to C300).

The company produces numerous shows that all air on TV (20+ shows). What camera systems are generally used in this setting these days? Are we talking HDX900's or something?

I realize this is a broad question and I'm sure many cams are used, but there must be a "norm", yes? Or a few of the most popular cams used?

Cheers

Any more info on a typical workflow from reality ops/dp's would be helpful.

• Premium Member

They seem to like the C-Series from Canon; not that I've done reality ever (they won't hire me it seems) but i see a lot of them asking for it. Hop over to Staff Me Up ,and look at Camera Operator jobs-- that'll mostly be reality, and often they'll list the cameras they're using.

Were i picking, Sony FS7-- that's what I'd push if I had a choice and was going in blind.

• Upvote 1

Hi Ryan,

From my experience, and you have said.

We must create a workflow, appropriate to the requirements of each project.

In my experience, different types of camera are used,

- Sony HDC cameras chains (avor Triax), for competitions between teams in a game setup: beach (style: Survivor).

- Cameras independent (Sony XDCAM-EX) for independent pursuits. (You know, daily tasks)

- Obviously options to increase the value of production (GoPro or similar , underwater cameras,) and supports, cranes, steadicam, drones

- Ligths, batteries,

- Audio: Soundman

- Not forgetting the technical quality requirements (color sampling, Mb/s, etc.).

- Critical aspects ambient humidity, heat, etc.

All this is only a part, the part of postproduction, is equally important, editing systems/Platforms (Avid, Premiere, FinalCut), supported Codecs, storage, data management, backups, color correction, etc.

You know, facilities to POST: Speed and Quality.

Also, your position DOP, you want ARTISTIC aspects and results too. (color, looks, etc).

For comment only some aspects, for these projects, you must plan every detail testing.

Sure, we could talk much about it.

For now my 2 cents, I hope to help a bit.

Edited by Nelson Villamil