Filming in closed construction site

so theres a construction site i want to film an action scene at. prop guns, stunts, that sort of thing. the site is closed and theres not much machinery there, its just old walls and dirt really. do i need to get a permit or permission to shoot there? if so, who do i talk to? (since the branch is closed)

The property is owned by someone or some corporation.

Choices

1.) guerrilla style, trespassing, hope no one notices, no one calls the cops, no one in cast or crew gets hurt

2.) contact property owner and ask permission, be prepared to show proof of liability insurance, explain exactly what will take place on their property and how long the shoot will take. Locality may or may not require a film permit.

If you've got prop guns and filming anythimg that's longer than a few grab shots you're more likely to attract attentiom.

In this particular case you should contact the property owner, especially if it's closed off, rather than being just open "waste ground",.

Thats the thing. its not really closed. like i was able to just drive right in. there were no "no trespassing" or "private property" signs. There were no gates or anything. If that doesnt matter, how do i find out who the property owner is?

Thats the thing. its not really closed. like i was able to just drive right in. there were no "no trespassing" or "private property" signs. There were no gates or anything. If that doesnt matter, how do i find out who the property owner is?

Does Pa have public lands? I'm sure the tax office will have a record of the current property owner. Plenty of abandoned places that you can walk right into. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Not to say I and friends didn't explore many abandoned places......we never tried to shoot a film in any of them.

You would be putting you entire cast and crew at risk of legal prosecution and possible fine.

• Premium Member

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Those are words to live by...not just shoot by.

Find out who owns the property and take it from there. If it doesn't seem feasible, don't pursue it. After all, necessity is the mother of invention...not convenience.

• Premium Member

PS does have many public lands; however, they are all natural-- so anything "man made" has ownership. You'll need an address and to contact the tax office of the city you're in who'd know the last owner-- and or the registrar of deeds, and go from there. However, may not find them at all.

For gunplay you'll certainly need police on set, or at least notified.

Permitting in most of Pa isn't too big an issue (god i miss home-- I even marginally miss pitt.)

For gunplay you'll certainly need police on set, or at least notified.

Permitting in most of Pa isn't too big an issue (god i miss home-- I even marginally miss pitt.)

Well hang on a minute it's Pittsburgh, USA, isn't hearing gun fire just a part of daily life there? Who will care or even notice?

R,