Diffusion

For myself personally I think the rules are silly and don't like them

Freya

What's 'silly' about being required to use your real name? I don't know if you were an active member of the forum before the rules were changed, but the amount of name-calling, petty insults and trolling that went on was far in excess of what it is today. Having a real names policy has meant users treating each other with far more respect than previously.

Well all becoming a storm in a tea cup now.. my only point was the OP did abide by the rules.. he used his real name.. he does not have family name.. and yes its unusual I guess for some one from that culture to on this forum..

When he pointed this out .. he was further "investigated" on google and basically asked for more proof.. I think both Stuart and Mark could have shot off a quick message.. noting the unusual aspect /cultural side they didnt know about. and welcome the guy.. thats all..

What's 'silly' about being required to use your real name? I don't know if you were an active member of the forum before the rules were changed, but the amount of name-calling, petty insults and trolling that went on was far in excess of what it is today. Having a real names policy has meant users treating each other with far more respect than previously.

I remember all of that stuff continuing long after the change in forum rules. In fact it seemed to get much worse.

Recently it has calmed down for sure.

I think the reason it has calmed down is the attitudes around camera systems are now less polarised.

There used to be that part of the camera forums people were scared to post in.

Also I think that cinematography and cinema type filmmaking is becoming less and less of a thing and that the people engaged with this stuff are all getting older.

Online media is now becoming more the pull. You tube etc.

Lastly there are just a lot less people posting here anymore.

What's silly about real names is the concept which varies wildly from culture to culture and country to country.

Thankfully it's imposed very loosely here as we mentioned earlier although obviously we just ran into a minor issue with it as we have been discussing in this thread.

I'm not here to argue about the rules tho, as far as I'm concerned they are a done deal and I think the way they are handled is fine.

For the record I've been an active member here about as long as you have, although these days I'm a lot less active as I have much more to deal with. I'm slightly surprised you don't remember me but there we go. It was over a decade ago!

Freya

he does not have family name

But he does have a last name, it's in his passport, and last names are what the forum asks for. I don't see how me asking him to contact Tim would have been any different in a private message.

Seeing as neither of the two people bothered by this were directly involved, perhaps we could consider this matter closed?

A cameraman I have worked with within the last year recently did a test for Lee Filters, comparing different diffusions in a studio environment. I haven't had a chance to watch the results myself yet, but have had it bookmarked for future reference. Might be worth having a look at the comparison videos Vivek.

http://www.leefilters.com/lighting/diffusion-list.html#nd-videobox

• Upvote 1

Hello,

Bradley

Thank you for that will look into it. Very useful

Freya and Robyn

Thank you for being understanding, Tamil and Indian name conventions are a very tricky thing and even I do not fully understand how they function.

Freya

Since you mentioned Tamil Cinema which is part of wider Indian cinema I am going to recommend 2 films

Court [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3717068/] directed by Chaitanya Tamanhe [ won a few awards at Venice and Berlin.]

And Kakka Muttai [ was screened at Cannes I believe]

Also a Tamil Director of Photography called Santosh Sivan is the only Indian ASC member from what I know,

@David Mullen do you happen to know of him ?

But he does have a last name, it's in his passport, and last names are what the forum asks for. I don't see how me asking him to contact Tim would have been any different in a private message.

Seeing as neither of the two people bothered by this were directly involved, perhaps we could consider this matter closed?

Yes agree.. the OP has been very polite and understanding..

Hi Vivek,

I guess that answers all your diffusion questions ? :) :) :)

Now I suggest making Venkatraman your surname, to avoid any further confusion on internet forums.

Which film school are you a student of ?

As David suggested, you should use the search function to get information that been discussed a million times.

Go to a grip rental house and ask if you can look at different materials. Rent some rags and get some gels, rent a couple of lamps and take photos of what the different types of diff do.

You will learn a lot from this exercise.

Regards

Sanjay Sami (surname made up by my grandfather so the Brits wouldn't get confused by his lack of surname)

Hey Sanjay,

Still have a few questions about diffusion but this is a good place to start with for now.

Regarding my surname I have sent a message to the admin of the forum,awaiting a response.

I am doing my Masters in Cinematography from Annapurna International School of Film and Media [Hyderabad]. Are you based in India ? If yes where ?

Cheers

I live in Bombay, but I work anywhere (as long as I get paid)

Good luck with your project. look me up if you need any help or if you are in Bombay and you feel like visiting a rental house. Even if I am not here, I'll set you up.

Take care

Sanjay Sami S.O.C

thegripworks@yahoo.com

www.thegripworks.com

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1339894/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Edited by Sanjay Sami

Hey Sanjay,

Just checked you out on facebook, we have a lot of mutual friends [mostly actors] from theatre as I was born and brought up in Bombay where I did a lot of theatre.

Will definitely meet up with you when I need some guidance.

Did you go to film school anywhere in India ? If yes where ?