Arri Standard / Bayonet mount lenses

Jay Young

• Premium Member

I believe there are different versions of the Schneider 25mm. The later model does clear the mirror.

I see. I just looked up the serial and I read November 1968 for my lens.

I guess I need to find a later model.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
On 8/15/2015 at 9:44 AM, Jean-Louis Seguin said:

It's the Arri 16BL that has a shorter mirror to mount distance because of a redesign of the position of the groundglass.

Just found this! So would you say using Arri Schneider-Kreuznach Cine-Xenons would be dangerous on a 16BL. They're in my area andI cant find any Bayonet's to rent. Lenses in question (not buying, but example): https://www.calkovsky.com/sold-super-16-schneider-arriflex-lens-set-10mm-16mm-25mm-35mm-50mm-75mm-bmpcc-lenses/

45 minutes ago, Jean-Louis Seguin said:

In the user’s manual for the 16BL, it states which lenses are OK to use with it. If it’s not on the list, it’s no good. I know some really old lenses like the 25mm f/1.5 , the 16mm f/1.9 and  the very early 10mm before 1967 do not work as they would touch the mirror.

Thanks for your answer. This particular set has 10,25, 50, 75 thought I am unsure as to the make year. Also, is there a way to know if a lens touches the mirror before activating the camera? or is it a trial and error sort of deal?

The 50mm and the 75mm are lenses than work on both the Arriflex 35mm and 16mm cameras, so there’s no problem at all with these. If the 25mm is the f/1.4, it should be OK. The 10mm is the one to check very carefully. Most Arri cameras have an inching knob so you can slowly turn the shutter by hand to see if it obstructs the lens. Make sure the lens is set to infinity.

JL

• Premium Member

From this old thread:

https://cinematography.com/index.php?/topic/59808-prime-lens-options-for-s16-arriflex-sr2-pl/

"The list of compatible (in terms of clearing the mirror) prime lenses in the 16 BL manual includes only a few lenses actually designed for 16mm: the Schneider Cinegon f/1.8 10mm as from 1967 (which is I believe serial no 9861936 and up) and the Zeiss Distagon f/2 8mm. Neither of those cover S16 however. The rest of the lens list are 35mm format lenses: Schneider Cinegon and Cine-Xenons (18, 28, 35, 40 etc), Zeiss Standard Speeds (16, 24, 32 etc), Cooke Speed Panchros (18, 25, 32 etc) and a couple of lenses by Kilfitt."

I tested a few old Schneiders that we had in the rental house I worked for back then and these two did not clear an SR mirror, so likely won't clear a 16BL mirror either:

Schneider f/2 16mm (#8998356)
Schneider f/2 25mm (#10359692)

I believe Schneider modified these lenses sometime after the 16BL came out, so later serial numbers may clear, but I don't know for sure.

On 9/27/2020 at 7:09 PM, Jean-Louis Seguin said:

The 50mm and the 75mm are lenses than work on both the Arriflex 35mm and 16mm cameras, so there’s no problem at all with these. If the 25mm is the f/1.4, it should be OK. The 10mm is the one to check very carefully. Most Arri cameras have an inching knob so you can slowly turn the shutter by hand to see if it obstructs the lens. Make sure the lens is set to infinity.

JL

Thank you! And yes I'm also noticing  on the manual these lenses are said to work

23 hours ago, Dom Jaeger said:

From this old thread:

https://cinematography.com/index.php?/topic/59808-prime-lens-options-for-s16-arriflex-sr2-pl/

"The list of compatible (in terms of clearing the mirror) prime lenses in the 16 BL manual includes only a few lenses actually designed for 16mm: the Schneider Cinegon f/1.8 10mm as from 1967 (which is I believe serial no 9861936 and up) and the Zeiss Distagon f/2 8mm. Neither of those cover S16 however. The rest of the lens list are 35mm format lenses: Schneider Cinegon and Cine-Xenons (18, 28, 35, 40 etc), Zeiss Standard Speeds (16, 24, 32 etc), Cooke Speed Panchros (18, 25, 32 etc) and a couple of lenses by Kilfitt."

I tested a few old Schneiders that we had in the rental house I worked for back then and these two did not clear an SR mirror, so likely won't clear a 16BL mirror either:

Schneider f/2 16mm (#8998356)
Schneider f/2 25mm (#10359692)

I believe Schneider modified these lenses sometime after the 16BL came out, so later serial numbers may clear, but I don't know for sure.

Thank you very much. And thanks for linking that thread. The set I'm looking at has the 10, 50, 75 and 25 (f1.4). I'm sure the 50 & 75 are good, just got to check the 10 and 25!