I'm back after 4 years, and just moved to LA

Michael Collier

So I bit the bullet and finally moved to LA. I drove 3500 miles from Alaska with a Jeep, a camera and an overloaded trailer. It was quite the adventure, and now I start the adventure to find work! We will see how that goes.

It was great to login and find a lot of names I recognize. I am very happy David Mullen is still active, and that Adrian Sierkowski made the move as well. I've seen a few other names pop up, and I have only been trolling for a few hours tonight. Hopefully one day soon I'll be able to get out to one of the LA meetups, and share a pint with all of you.

I am sure many of you don't remember me, it has been more than 4 years since my last post. If you do remember me, you might remember som of my wacky inventions that never really panned out, like the new electronics board for a CP-16:

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=40779&hl=

There was also a wireless dimmer invention, and an voltmeter that could automatically detect phases. While none of those made it to market, I did get a patent on the voltmeter, so I can always claim that I suppose.

I also would post write ups on my early shorts, which is a shame, because looking back it is clear how much there was yet to learn. For fun here is an early post on my first "big budget" ($20K) short film.

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=28690

Life got complicated, and I started doing a lot of Reality TV, so I kind of dropped off the radar. I did get a chance to do movies several times a year, but those opportunities were getting fewer and farther between. Moving here is a way to make a commitment to what I really want to do, gaffing and eventually cinematography. I have a feature film I gaffed that is premeiring at the Chineese Theater on Oct. 16 as part of the 8 Films to Die For series (shameless plug, followed by trailer plug, also bereft of shame: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soHRo3XCbzA )

Hopefully I will be more active on here, and now more useful, since I have had the opportunity to learn under some really great gaffers over the years I went dark.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Satsuki! If I remember right you were a new (although skilled) member when I left. I think it was you that posted about a short film/bar scene you lit with chineese lamps as pracitcals, and it was beautiful. If that isn't you, well I am finaly at an age and level of grey hair where I can blame that for failing memory.

As for Phil -- oh yes I remember your name as well too. Not in a bad way of course, You were knowlegable and generous with that knowledge. I have a lot of knowlege about the craft that my previous location wouldn't support, and it comes from this site. Honestly that is the main reason I wanted to come back, as a way to give back to the comunity that made me able to (in the ironic words of a fantastic gaffer I worked for) "tread the line of adequecy" well before I had the experience to maintain adequecy.

My tag line in LA is that if I could bust cable and lights in -40F, I should be able to do it in +76F. (I don't know F vs C as well as I should, but I do know that -40F and -40C is the same. I also know that wrapping cable at -40 anything is tough, and that a silver bullet 18K in anything below 0F needs its lower cooling vents covered with gaffe, otherwise wind can easily crack the double ended globe at the ceramic. Max18s and LTM fresnel 18s seem OK, and don't need any modification. If not, I worked the last season of breaking bad as a set lighting technician in +110F, so unless I want to work on murcury, I've got all climates covered.)

Edited by Michael Collier

My tag line in LA is that if I could bust cable and lights in -40F, I should be able to do it in +76F. (I don't know F vs C as well as I should, but I do know that -40F and -40C is the same. I also know that wrapping cable at -40 anything is tough, and that a silver bullet 18K in anything below 0F needs its lower cooling vents covered with gaffe, otherwise wind can easily crack the double ended globe at the ceramic. Max18s and LTM fresnel 18s seem OK, and don't need any modification. If not, I worked the last season of breaking bad as a set lighting technician in +110F, so unless I want to work on murcury, I've got all climates covered.)

Hiya Michael,

Welcome back! I don't understand Farenheit at all I'm afraid but I can tell you that centigrade is based around the properties of water because it is such an important liquid. The very essence of life. So 0 degrees C is the temperature at which water freezes and 100 degrees C is when water boils. I hope that will make it a bit easier to think about it. -40c is scary cold. Once it drops below zero here then people start freaking out from the cold. Maybe that's a warm day where you come from?

Must be a huge jump to go to LA! I worry about it being too hot for me in LA having spent far too long in the frozen wastes of Northern England! I've yet to find out tho.

I hope things continue to go really well for you in your new home! Congratulations.

Freya

No, I meant raw stock. But for archival storage Kodak do recommend freezing even for processed film. It's rather impractical though, taped bags and all that. They really mean beyond-your-lifetime archival Mine is on the shelf too, not too hot or too variable. My 35-year- old stuff is still fine except for fungus on some of the Agfa Super-8, but apparently the stock was prone to it so I don't feel too bad. A 1981 roll of 16mm. rushes hasn't even vinegared, but it could be Fuji stock which didn't.

www.kodak.com/global/en/consumer/products/techInfo/e30/e30.pdf

Edited by Mark Dunn

Welcome back. I think I recall that you posted photos a camera rig you built off the front frame/bumper of a jeep while up in Alaska? Correct? I'd like to hear more about you voltmeter invention, don't recall reading about it.

I have a UK passport Mark, so I'm from the homeland of the world's greatest insufferable boors. :D

R,

I though they tended to come from somewhere nearer.

I was trying to keep your (not very) secret. Or at least preserve your aura of mystery.

Edited by Mark Dunn

I just got back from the UK two days ago, being British with a CDN accent totally throws everyone off there. 20 times a day someone will say, what part of the USA are you from? When I say, I'm from Canada, the English person's face turns green and they drop to their knees and scream, OMG I am so sorry...I called you an American. It's quite funny.

Ok now back to Michael Collier's glorious return and his thread.

R,

• 1 month later...

But Richard, you're our insufferable bore. (and if Phil gets into a cage death match with you over the IB title, that would actually be pretty awesome. Neither insufferable, nor boring)

I got my first LA job (after my other first LA jobs of doing camera prep for a reality show, and interviewing Ed Asner). I am gaffing a low budget film in a couple of weeks, and looking forward to new challenges.

It is quite interesting, the differences between LA and Alaska. Over the last decade I have worked with mostly LA and NYC crews in Alaska and New Mexico, so the culture and workflow is familiar. There are two main differences I see. #1- everything is available, whenever you want it, and it can be delivered cheaply and on a moments notice. That is quite nice. #2- although Alaska wasn't quite bereft of regulation, there are necisarrily more rules in a major metropolitain. So I have to figure out how to do what I have always done, within a more stringent regulatory environment. Not a bad thing or an undue burden since I never cut corners on safety. But now it seems the opportunity to *cough* and do something in the grey area is a bit more limited.

It will be fun to explore the lay of the land, and to quote Dr. Strangelove, I am filled with a spirit of bold curiosity for the adventure ahead!

(also I hate parking in LA. I stay sheltered in Burbank as often as is practical)

• Premium Member

Parking here is still substantially better than It is back east.

And though late to this congratulations, Welcome to the city. I was just out in Burbank-- had I actually been properly active on here I'd've said let's get a pint!

If you get a chance, head up to Mount Wilson, when you need a head-clear and perspective on LA.

• 3 months later...
Guest Reed Bovee

I did get a patent on the voltmeter, so I can always claim that I suppose.

I am very interested in your voltmeter. Could you please provide more info such as the patent number?

Thank you.