Arriflex 16 S

Michael Leake

• Premium Member

Mark, congratulations! My arriflex 16S is working very well. I have 2 motors i need to rebuild. I custom built a battery pack. I have to sling it in a bag right now. it is not belt wearable (that will be in the future). It has two 14.1 volt, 5 amp lipo batteries I bought from eBay. They are connected to a voltage regulator which steps them down from fully charged 15.4v to an adjustable 8.35 volt out put. I can also switch from one battery to another. I have no idea how long the arri 16 will run before I need to recharge them. That will be in the future. Right now the camera runs.

Michael Leake

Personally I love the Arri S, it is an ideal small 16mm camera that can be upgraded to Super 16. I think the Arri S looks very similar to Pathe Webo 16, which in turn looks a lot like the Kodak model E, I think the Kodak camera was built in the 1930's and is quite basic, the Pathe 16 was built in the 1940s and has an interesting reflex system. I believe the Arri S was built in the 1950s, with a true reflex viewfinder and better build quality as the camera was aimed at professionals.

Pav

Edited by Pavan Deep

• Premium Member

to anyone: Has Arri ever made a constant speed 18fps motor??

Has any one converted a constant speed 24fps to an 18fps????

I know I would be better with a Tobin crystal, but it is out of my budget at this time.

to anyone: Has Arri ever made a constant speed 18fps motor??

Has any one converted a constant speed 24fps to an 18fps????

I know I would be better with a Tobin crystal, but it is out of my budget at this time.

If it's a crystal sync motor then you might be able to swap out the crystal and wire in new ones, maybe with a switch but I suspect this will be non trivial.

Freya

Michael,

Your motor has the '24 B/sec' label placed on it, so it means that motor will run at 24 fps only. There is no 'Forward/Reverse' switch on it like on a wild motor. Your motor looks like the the latest version of the Governor Controlled motor that Arri made before they stopped the 16S program. It's possible that that motor runs on 12 volts. Doubtful that is is 'crystal controlled' for precise frame rate.

If you had the variable speed motor, it would look like the variable speed motor in the pic below. The earlier version of the Governor Controlled Motor had the large transistor mounted on it, also was 8 volts. You could have ordered the motor from Arri to run at a single speed from 16 fps to 32 fps. (not variable) It's possible you can change the electronics in it to run at your 18fps.... just a thought. Anyway, why 18fps??

dgrzw6.jpg

At the end, Arri was just promoting this motor for 16S camera

9hnewg.jpg

Charlie

• Premium Member

Michael,

That's a governor controlled motor, 24fps, that you have pictured there. It is controlled by a mechanical governor. Been years since I rebuild and calibrated one, but if memory servers (and at this age that's questionable) the adjustment on them is about 1fps, so you could probably adjust it as low as 23fps or as high as 25fps. There would be no way to adjust it as slow as 18fps.

Best,

-Tim

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

Charlie Piech: Why 18fps. 1. extend my film supply. (maybe my 1 minute) 2. get the feel of my childhood movies taken on my 8mm Kodak Brownie.(I could probably get that by filming on an 8mm camera)

3. To see what the quality of 18fps vs 24fps. 4. just to play around.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

hopefully there are photos of the battery pack I have completed for my arri 16s. It has 2 15.4v, 5 amp lithium hard shell batteries as input power. I can switch between the two batteries without power shut down. The output can be adjusted from 2v, to 15v. I have them set at 8.5v.. I have two power ports, one for my original arri cable and one custom built for another cable I made. As of yet, I have no idea what the time duration for filming on my arri.

post-71648-0-48605900-1496248853_thumb.jpg

post-71648-0-79451400-1496248864_thumb.jpg

post-71648-0-87892600-1496248887_thumb.jpg

post-71648-0-45202100-1496248905_thumb.jpg

post-71648-0-76748900-1496248918_thumb.jpg

post-71648-0-61909100-1496248935_thumb.jpg

post-71648-0-30059000-1496248945_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

I have a Dom Arriflex Stop Motion/Animation motor that works with ARRI S/SB or M for sale. Comes with Manuel. I can send pictures. I am In NYC. Allows you to do stop motion or animation with ARRI S/SB or M

Mik Cribben /FIlmFriends 917-513-3795

• 4 months later...
  • Premium Member

Charlie Peich:

International Cinema Equipment a division of Magna-Tech Electronic co. base in Florida is selling what they claim to be 200' arri 16s film magazines. While they will hold 200' of film, they don't appear to be dedicated 200' magazines. The footage counters all indicate a maximum of 500'. So if anyone wants just a dedicated 200', these are not those.

Pic 16s with 200 ft mag attached. The 200 ft mag is a 'clam shell' type mag, the lid is hinged at the top. Very useable when hand holding, smaller profile, less weight, than 400 ft mag. Not buffeted around as much as the 400 ft mag on windy days when hand held. Nice for short ends on cores 100ft to 199ft.

IMG-20140207-0004.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

TO: anyone

I purchased what I think is called a periscope attachment for my arri 16st. It seems to work just fine and I think I attached it correctly.  If anyone has more knowledge about this item or an owners manual, I would appreciate the information.

I also recently purchased two arri 200' magazines and one motor to fit.  I am servicing them so they will work.

Thanks

Michael Leake

TO; Mark Day, yes post pictures, always interested.

98dI3aq9QXW870%BQR9HkQ.jpg

h4XKZqdfTeevnAjqfHls4A.jpg

f4L4%CraRMmRFBW66D3DVw.jpg

auZUmLJzSYS3vDRN0GGY+w.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

assistance from anyone;

I am rebuilding 4 torque motors(3-400' and 1-200') One of the 400' motors is 12V, the other 2 are 8V. The 200' torque motor is 8V.  I may convert these all to 12V so they will work with the tobin variable speed camera motor.

In the image, the red arrow indicates what I think is a lubrication points(for the gears) on  this motor.  On the motor I have seen four or five of these(2 interior and 2 or 3 exterior. I have some arri oil for these points.  The yellow arrow indicates where I think the arri grease could be applied, however I did not really see grease on these gears(the phenolic material).  I am wondering if they really need grease or they may stay dry.  I was also able to apply oil to the motor bearings.  Please advise me further if you would.

thanks

Michael Leake

fullsizeoutput_34c.jpeg

Yes - the red arrow should be a spring loaded port for Chronosynth I/8 - it's probably better to just disassemble the gear so the shaft can be cleaned as well.  I have never seen a mag with the gears greased. I would remove each gear, clean the shafts and lightly oil.