Nizo 6080 light meter dilema

xoct

I recently acquired a Nizo 6080 that was serviced by GK-Film in Germany. Halfway through the first roll of film, the automatic light meter stopped reading. When I told the person from whom I purchased the camera, he told me it was because I was using 1.5 volt AA batteries and not rechargable 1.2 volt AA batteries. I have used the same 1.5 volt AA batteries on a 6056 and an 801 macro without any problems. Is it at all likely that 9 volts used for a few minutes on this 6080 could have damaged the light meter??? I kind of suspect that GK-Film did not do a good job at servicing the camera. And anyway, the manual does not specify voltage anywhere. Hope you can help before I have to ship this back to Germany! Thanks!

Chris

Edited by xoct

Guest proeoet

hello - i really can't answer to your question, but it just came to my mind that do you have the battery box (1,5v) for your batteries? i've heard that one should 1,2 v accus in 1,2 v accu box and 1,5 v batteries in 1,5 v battery box... don't still now how it affects in anything, haven't tried. :huh:

I recently acquired a Nizo 6080 that was serviced by GK-Film in Germany.  Halfway through the first roll of film, the automatic light meter stopped reading.  When I told the person from whom I purchased the camera, he told me it was because I was using 1.5 volt AA batteries and not rechargable 1.2 volt AA batteries.  I have used the same 1.5 volt AA batteries on a 6056 and an 801 macro without any problems.  Is it at all likely that 9 volts used for a few minutes on this 6080 could have damaged the light meter???  I kind of suspect that GK-Film did not do a good job at servicing the camera.  And anyway, the manual does not specify voltage anywhere.  Hope you can help before I have to ship this back to Germany!  Thanks!

Chris

It is true that 1.2 V batteries are required to run the camera to reduce issues with the sensitive electronics. I have seen the Nizo 6080 and 6056 go down at the drop of a hat due to their overly sophisticated electronics (usually with a fine smoke coming from within the camera). So, it is possible that the small voltage difference was just enough stress to burn something out (I have seen it happen before).

However, I suspect that GK-Film is likely attempting to give you excuses to keep the camera from coming back to their shop under warranty. I would suggest pushing them hard to repair the camera under warranty (if it is still covered). If they refuse, you could threaten to give them bad press on the forums.

If you feel trapped and they still refuse to fix the camera (unless you pay), I would NOT send it back to them as an issue of principal. Try someplace else.

If you really want a durable camera that provides equal results in picture quality, I would suggest buying the Canon 1014 XLS or 814 XLS in the future. The Nizo's and Beaulieu's are really not worth the hassle in my opinion.

That?s about it. Good luck! ;)

Thanks for the input. I always thought the Nizo to be a kind of workhorse because they put so much care into their design and aren't as fussy as the Beaulieu. Anyway, GK-Film offers a 6 month guarantee, so I'm okay. Thanks for the input...I still can't imagine how using 1.5 volt AA batteries could really kill the electronics...