Freya Black

That's sort of the point: you do. Round here, they're going to be a nobody forever.

P

So why do you (or anyone in the UK) bother to even try? From your posts, it would seem to be a complete waste of money to go to film school. With a degree and little experience , who's going to hire you?

• Premium Member

Most of us don't. Personally, I knew full well I was never going to make a living in film and TV more or less from the moment the thought entered my head. It's always completely obvious to everyone here that ninety-five-plus-percent of the stuff on TV and in cinemas is American, so there's no question that the local industry is ever going to employ more than a handful of people. And it really is a handful - at the level that is normal in, say, Los Angeles, there's probably a few tens of real film crew in the UK. Certainly not more than a hundred or so. I'm astonished this is surprising to anyone, I didn't consider this a controversial or obscure fact.

At that time, in the late 1990s, there was at least some prospect of making money doing music videos, but that's gone too now.

It absolutely is a waste of time and money to go to film school in the UK. It's a complete waste of money to buy equipment, and it's a complete waste of time to do freebies in the hope of going anywhere. You aren't going anywhere. There's nowhere to go, except out, as our correspondents in this thread have shown.

I've said it a million times, but the way you demonstrate success in the British film industry is to leave.

P