Ideal reflector for max output from E27 (household socket) fluo bulb?

Salil Sundresh

I received a couple of those giant 5600k CFL bulbs recently for free and they are rated >90 CRI, so I thought maybe I could use this for some small setups where a little extra daylight fill is needed and I'm out of lights. Does anyone know what sort of fixture/reflector design would provide maximum light output for a 150w E27 fluorescent bulb?

EDIT: I think this is what I’ve got:
Edited by Salil Sundresh

• Premium Member

Wescott and SmithVictor make some stuff.

If you wanted to get crazy you could get an ArriMAX reflector I suppose and fab up a system yourself-- but in 100% truth the marginal gains probably wouldn't be worth it if you're just looking for a little daylight fill.

I think the name of the Wescott thing is the Octolight-- it'll take 8 bulbs in it (dunno if all those will fit) with a beauty dish like attachment and the ability to throw a silk over it.

It's something I also keep meaning to use with my Cree bulbs for much the same reason.

Salil,

I had a fixture with those large spiral CFL bulbs in them. You might want to calm your expectations for them. When I measured the bulbs they were actually about 4500K-ish and had a strong green bias. So do test them before you expect the bulbs to actually balance well with "daylight". ...but hey, they come out of a no-name company in Shenzhen so you can absolutely trust them, right? :)

Stuart

The fixtures themselves aren't very rugged, they are intended more for (photo) studio use. Worked with them on a music video and yes, they are little more than a thin stamped metal washtub with sockets and a shower cap for diffusion. You really would do better to build your own lights to your specs., as other have done before. Several very clever fixtures are described and pictured in the Harry Box lighting book.

Edited by JD Hartman
  • Upvote 1