How do I tell the difference between LEMO and FISHER cables?

• Premium Member

I think they are just different manufacturers. Usually Fischer has smooth connectors while Lemos are textured. You just need to know the standard connectors. Arri uses mostly Fischer for their cameras.

- There is 3pin 24v accessory power out (also known as R/S).

- 2pin 24v power in which is large and is only used to power 24v cameras like Arri 416, 435, Arricam, Alexa. The other end is usually 3pin XLR to connect to a block battery.

- 11pin 12v accessory power output which is outdated and only found on older cameras like the Arri SR2. Arri now uses 2pin Lemo instead for 12v output on the Alexa.

• Upvote 1

All right, this really helps, but I have a further (maybe silly) question. the number of pins in/out at both ends of the cable is the same? Or, and maybe this is the case, I can have a 2 pin accessory that then ends with 3 pins to power a TV Logic? (and tell me if I'm wrong but tv logics to be powered always need a 3 pin input on their back right?)

• Premium Member

No, each end of the cable should have as many pins as required to connect to the device it was designed for. The key is that these cables are designed to power a particular device. You should not mix and match cables that are intended for other devices unless you know what you are doing.

The TVLogic had a locking mini XLR4 power input, and also a DC pole plug input. These are both 12v. So you need a cable that goes from a 12v power source like Lemo2, Hirose4, or d-tap (usually unregulated power, so it can pass along higher voltage from the power source - be careful!) to mini XLR4. Or you need a cable that goes from a 24v power source like Fischer3 R/S with a built in 24v-12v transformer to mini XLR4. The connectors will be whatever you need them to be, the important part is that the cable is wired correctly for both the source side and the device side. If you get the pins wrong, you can short circuit the device.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

No, it won't create a short. If the battery has too high of a voltage at full charge (a lot of these batteries can provide up to 18v), then you risk blowing a fuse in the 12v device or damaging the electronics if there is no fuse. TVLogics are usually fine on d-tap, but with a full battery it's best to power on the camera first and let it run a bit before plugging in accessories so they don't get the full current.

Now, if you plug the d-tap in backwards, reversing the polarity of the hot and neutral pins then you will cause a short and immediately fry your device. I know it seems impossible to do, but I think everyone who's been around long enough has done it once...

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if this question was answered, but can I use a 3pin Lemo instead of a Fischer 3pin connector?

I wanna buy a couple connector ends to make my own cables, but this company sells only Lemo connectors of most kinds, including 3pin, but not Fischer connectors. Does it work the same?

The best way to tell the difference is to look at the housing of the actual connector. Lemo brand Lemo connectors will have "Lemo" engraved on them, they will also have a textured pattern that resembles a chocolate bar (tiny squares grouped together) going around it.

Fischer connectors will sometimes have Fischer engraved on the housing but even if they don't they will have 3-4 rings going around the housing.

There are off brand Lemo connectors that won't say Lemo on them but should still have the "chocolate bar" pattern.

In addition to what Satsuki mentioned about using the proper cables, some applications may use the same connector but have different pin outs. 2-Pin Lemo's you need to be careful of sometimes, though they will fit any 2-pin Lemo receptacle, the cable it self may have been made for a different polarity and if the improper cable is used you can cause damage to the equipment.

• Premium Member

Evan makes a good point about different pin-outs. Another good one to know is the different wiring of XLR3 24v power cables for Panavision and Arri camera systems. They are wired opposite from each other so if you use a Panavison block battery and cable on a (non-Panavised) Arri camera you'll damage the camera, and vice versa. Also, Moviecam cameras were 24v and had XLR4 connectors (which are used for 12v pretty much everywhere else). Very weird.